The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: average pass fail rate to achieve MH

Default average pass fail rate to achieve MH

What is, or do you think is the average amount of test pass fail ratio it takes to achieve a MH?

Depends on you, your dog and your training. I wouldn't depend on the average as a way to set goals or judge performance.
    Darrin Greene

i understand the variables and agree that is why I ask. There was a previois thread that had statements along the lines of "if it took 12 attempts to get a MH that was probably not a good/great dog, a pig". The opposite of that could be a very talented dog high drive with an inexperienced handler.

So maybe it's better to break it down into 2 questions.

How many tests would it take to get a MH with an experienced trainer with good dog?

How many tests would it take to get a MH with an average/ weekend warrior trainer with a good dog?

still doesn't matter...

an average guy with a below average dog and 6 years of training might make MH with a 0 fail rate

a great trainer pushing the envelope with a great 1 1/2 year old might fail a few times getting it done

with tests it's all about the objectives of the trainer really

if MH is just something you want to do for fun and you're willing to take your time, no reason to ever fail with a capable dog

if you have a talented bitch you want to breed once her health clearances are done, then you may push to get the title early in life
    Darrin Greene

I needed six passes to obtain my MASTERS title with my first dog as I didn't run JR or SR. I was also a new ameteur trainer and handler. This is my first dog running at the hunt test level. I also run HRC. I failed three MASTERS test while trying to obtain the title, so I passed 6 of 9 tests. Of course it didn't help running these tests as my dog is almost completely blind. After watching many dogs run, I believe most failures are due to handling errors and inexperienced trainers. With a solid training program, you should fail very few tests no matter what you are running.
    Last edited by blinddogmaddie; 02-12-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Darrin is correct as too many variables to consider, and all of that plays into it when considering the averages, etc.

I think I read here somewhere from retrieverresults.com (or .net) that it took an average of 9-10 tests to complete the 5 required passes, and that the average age was 4 years old when a dog would become MH.

So, back when I ran only junior level, I used to look at pass/fail on dogs at the upper levels regularly. My thinking was that if it took a dog too many tries to get an advanced title, there must be something wrong with the dog. Piggy, not birdy, dud, etc. Since I started run Senior and master a couple years ago, I no longer look at that. I can say, with confidence, that 50% of the time OR BETTER, it has been my fault the dog hasn't passed. Not the test, not the dog. When looking for a dog to breed to now, I want to know who trained them and who's running them. I want to see them.

God, thinking about it actually makes me groan. The amount of money I've put out and then blown the wrong damn whistle or given the wrong cast! Ouch! My dogs don't care though! They still usually get a bird or two!

Sue Puffy
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

AKC puts out stats on pass rate for obedience classes, I would love to see them do the same for pass rate at master for untitled vs. titled dogs.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

When I was very new to running HT, after a couple years of dedicated training with a very accomplished mentor, I jumped in with both feet running MH without having ever run JH or SH.

After my 2nd consecutive bonehead handling performace my mentor asked me "Why don't you let that dog pass one of these things?"
    Bert Rodgers

I think it all depends on how darkly colored a person's rose colored glasses are! Whether they use those glass to see their dog's performance, their handling skills, their training skills, the test setup, the judges, the grounds, the logistics of the club, the weather, etc, etc...

But I would gander once a person matures in the sport and has a decent dog, with a decent training program/plan, and is a decent handler barring just general/legitimate bad luck (it happens) - I would say 6 to 8 passes to get an MH? At least that is what i'd strive for. But then again what do I know? I've only ran a handful of Masters and am really focused on FTs, so take my unscientific guess for what it is.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot