The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Eye Folds and Dwarfism?

In regards to breeding, if wanting to breed a dog and it has focal and/or multi-focal folds, test for RD/OSD. If clear, the dog may receive a CERF number. If the dog is a carrier, it cannot receive a CERF number. A RD/OSD carrier could be bred to a dog that has been genetically tested clear. But there will be some carriers produced and some or all carriers will likely have folds too. It would be unwise to breed a carrier to a dog that has not been genetically tested, because reportedly (Optigen website) some carriers don't have retinal folds. So a clear CERF does not necessarily mean clear of RD/OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    If you could copy a link from CERF saying they are now issuing CERF numbers for Labs with Geographic Folds that would be appreciated as that would be something very very new.
    Lee, you are contradicting yourself. You started out by saying:

Right now, any and ALL folds will fail a pup and they will not get a CERF number. There is one type of folds that are associated with dwarfism. There are also a couple other types of folds that are not.
    You then corrected yourself to this:

1) 99 % of folds found in Labs are GEOGRAPHICAL folds. 2) The optigen test is for focal folds. 3) If your dog has folds they will NOT get a CERF number.**** This has been changed in the last year. Here is the quote fromOptigen's site".CERF Certification for Labradors or Samoyeds with Retinal Folds: The breeding advice for Labrador Retrievers and Samoyeds diagnosed with "retinal dysplasia - folds" will be changed from "No" to "Breeder option" if the owner of the dog provides the CERF office with results of the DNA test for the affected dog, showing that it is not a carrier of the oculoskeletal dysplasia (OSD) mutation" Please note that these comments refer only to Focal/Multi-focal reitnal dysplasia (retinal folds). Geographic retinal dysplasia may represent a different, possibly inherited, disease. 4)There are "other" types of folds that are inherited that are not focal folds.
    I have not differentiated on this thread about focal or geographic folds. You posted this after I disagreed with your original statement.

I don't have anything to prove or any ax to grind. Just not playin'.

Just cerf your pups guys! and do it early so the folds don't fade. Take them to an AVCO with years of experience. That's my advice.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Banned

I have no ax to grind...one woman's "well respected ACVO" is another 6 colleague's (laughing) "battier than a belfry". Now that we have your opinion and their opinions out of the way.....I did correct myself. That is new info and that's a good thing. However, that SPECIFICALLY and ONLY applies to FOCAL folds.I cited Optigen as stated. Geographic folds are way way more prevalent. So I'll ask the question again...its really simple and only requires a yes or no and if yes, I'd love to read the info on it as it would be very very new info. Are you saying that dogs with geographic folds that have a clear RD/OSD dna test will receive a CERF number? If I remember correctly, and individual on here was led to believe that and when he sent in his CERF form he did NOT get a CERF number. I am sure someone with better search skills could probably find the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    I have no ax to grind...one woman's "well respected ACVO" is another 6 colleague's (laughing) "battier than a belfry". Now that we have your opinion and their opinions out of the way.....I did correct myself. That is new info and that's a good thing. However, that SPECIFICALLY and ONLY applies to FOCAL folds.I cited Optigen as stated. Geographic folds are way way more prevalent. .
    And it's the research of the very dedicated and experienced AVCO vet that purportedly you state that what is now 6 collgaues say is battier than a belfry" whose research helped lead to the breeder option for focal folds. However, I know of way more than 6 that would disagree with this type of statement. That's just B.S. I don't believe they would malign the character of this person, and if they did, it shows a lack of professionalism on their part. I have always been directed there, with comments from colleagues that state "they are the best there is." I guess that's why they have won all of those awards. I won't malign the reputation of vets who go out of their way to assist people, have dedicated their lives to research and teaching, save dogs from blasto, and take payment in the form of chickens if they have to. We'll see in 30 years if the vets you speak of have even done 5% of what this person has. I doubt it.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Banned

And the answer to the question would be?????

Read this from the CERF website: http://www.vmdb.org/dx.html
    It says in the last sentence that dogs with geographic folds cannot be certified.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

So what age in weeks/months can you CERF and still catch puppy folds before they begin to fade?
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Ann, my eye doc likes to do them at 7 weeks old. I think the window is 7-9 weeks of age.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    So what age in weeks/months can you CERF and still catch puppy folds before they begin to fade?
    Just to clarify, they don't "fade" in every case. If you want to know for sure if your dog carries RD/OSD, do the genetic test. Optigen is the only company that tests for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    A long time ago I wrote:
    At present it appears that the most reliable eye exams for drd can be obtained on pups between the ages of 6 weeks and 6 months, with 14 weeks optimal.

The 14 week optimum was based on an article in RFTN (ca. 1996?) written by a Minneapolis eye vet. (Whose name I don't recall right now.)