RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Puppy Eye Folds and Dwarfism?

6K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Illini Coot Killr 
#1 · (Edited)
I have limited internet access here so it can be difficult to do research. Can someone re-enlighten me on the connection of puppy folds and dwarfism (if there is one)? Would appreciate any links to previous threads or whatever you can provide. Thank you!

Is there a test to determine if puppy folds are "bad" or are folds always bad?

I do CERF my pups as soon as I get them, and have not had issues. But I am interested in what are others finding in their pups?

#2 ·
There is a fairly new (4.5 years) genetic test to determine if the retinal folds are genetic and associated with OSD. If your dog fails CERF, you can use the genetic test for further information.

Test for Inherited Dysplasia/OSD in Labrador & Samoyeds Now Available

Ithaca, NY – July, 2008 - OptiGen is offering a new DNA test that identifies the Inherited forms of Retinal Dysplasia associated with OculoSkeletal Dysplasia (OSD) in Labrador Retrievers and Samoyeds. OSD is characterized by short-limbed dwarfism and blindness at an early age. The new OptiGen DNA test for OSD-associated Retinal Dysplasia will allow Labrador Retriever and Samoyed breeders to determine if the retinal folds that are often insignificant in many breeds are correlated to the serious condition of OSD. For more information click on the link above.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_rdosd.html

#4 ·
If you fail CERF for a fold, can you do the Optigen test to determine if it is inherited and report it to CERF? Or, do you just have to do it yourself and decide whether to breed or not if the Optigen test shows the fold does not indicate and inherited disease?

#6 · (Edited)
The link provided to the testing information answers questions asked about CERF for dogs with folds.

If a puppy has folds and the folds disappear when the pup is 6 months old (just picking 6 months old, nothing magical about 6 months), then should pup still be tested for OD? Or does fact that folds disappeared mean the folds were benign folds & not associated with dwarfism?

#17 · (Edited)
Reading the link information it sounds like pup with folds should be tested for OD. Dogs can outgrow folds, can be carriers & not have folds or show signs of disease, but could pass the gene to offspring. Right?

So if a puppy isn't CERF'd until it is older & folds may have disappeared, then older pup/dog should be tested for OD to rule out silent carrier status.

#20 ·
Keith used to be, but the genetic test put him on EX-guru status. ;-)

http://www.math.uiowa.edu/~stroyan/Shohola/Dwarf.htm

About 10 years ago I met a researcher at UW-Madison who was doing research on the folds NOT related to OculoSkeletal Dysplasia (OSD = "dwarfism" in the old days).

I recall that the part of the eye was the suspected relation, but I don't know if that research was ever published once the genetic test came out.

====

There was a famous (High Point Open) dog whose folds faded out as he became older, but kept right on throwing dwarfs... The flods can fade, the defective gene doesn't...

The fading folds are why - back in the olden days - it was important to test puppies.

Dwarfism went down a lot between 1990 and 2010 partly because of the puppy eye tests, but now there's a better way.

#13 ·
I had a show bitch who had geographic folds ( I am pretty sure it was geo). At the time , nearly 20 yrs ago , the Cerf Dr said NOT to worry about them , they were similar to what Cockers have, and that he would not hesitate to breed her. I did , 3 times, and she never produced any eye issues, nor dwarfism.

#21 ·
In regards to breeding, if wanting to breed a dog and it has focal and/or multi-focal folds, test for RD/OSD. If clear, the dog may receive a CERF number. If the dog is a carrier, it cannot receive a CERF number. A RD/OSD carrier could be bred to a dog that has been genetically tested clear. But there will be some carriers produced and some or all carriers will likely have folds too. It would be unwise to breed a carrier to a dog that has not been genetically tested, because reportedly (Optigen website) some carriers don't have retinal folds. So a clear CERF does not necessarily mean clear of RD/OSD.

#23 ·
I have no ax to grind...one woman's "well respected ACVO" is another 6 colleague's (laughing) "battier than a belfry". Now that we have your opinion and their opinions out of the way.....I did correct myself. That is new info and that's a good thing. However, that SPECIFICALLY and ONLY applies to FOCAL folds.I cited Optigen as stated. Geographic folds are way way more prevalent. So I'll ask the question again...its really simple and only requires a yes or no and if yes, I'd love to read the info on it as it would be very very new info. Are you saying that dogs with geographic folds that have a clear RD/OSD dna test will receive a CERF number? If I remember correctly, and individual on here was led to believe that and when he sent in his CERF form he did NOT get a CERF number. I am sure someone with better search skills could probably find the thread.

#24 ·
I have no ax to grind...one woman's "well respected ACVO" is another 6 colleague's (laughing) "battier than a belfry". Now that we have your opinion and their opinions out of the way.....I did correct myself. That is new info and that's a good thing. However, that SPECIFICALLY and ONLY applies to FOCAL folds.I cited Optigen as stated. Geographic folds are way way more prevalent. .
And it's the research of the very dedicated and experienced AVCO vet that purportedly you state that what is now 6 collgaues say is battier than a belfry" whose research helped lead to the breeder option for focal folds. However, I know of way more than 6 that would disagree with this type of statement. That's just B.S. I don't believe they would malign the character of this person, and if they did, it shows a lack of professionalism on their part. I have always been directed there, with comments from colleagues that state "they are the best there is." I guess that's why they have won all of those awards. I won't malign the reputation of vets who go out of their way to assist people, have dedicated their lives to research and teaching, save dogs from blasto, and take payment in the form of chickens if they have to. We'll see in 30 years if the vets you speak of have even done 5% of what this person has. I doubt it.

#29 ·
Just to clarify, they don't "fade" in every case. If you want to know for sure if your dog carries RD/OSD, do the genetic test. Optigen is the only company that tests for it.

#32 ·
Reading the information on Optigen that even carriers of the gene may develop eye problems in their lives, are people who have pups with folds doing the additional OD test to rule out folds associated with RD and dwarfism? Do people realize that carriers (not just affecteds) are at risk? I didn't until I read and then reread the information on Optigen.

#33 ·
Somewhere in my files one of the service dog organizations had reported incidents of folds appearing AFTER the 7-8 wk puppy CERF (and some puppy folds disappearing after 16 wks or so also). This led to the annual CERF recommendation for Labs, etc because they'd send their pups out to puppy raisers at 8 wks, only to get the disappointing news upon their return to the school at 18 mos and find folds that weren't there prior. Obviously after spending a lot of money on that pup in the raiser's home. So there are definitely different types of folds and different timing of appearance and possible disappearance.

I tend to do my litters right before they leave (so at or just before 8 wks), and my own keepers get on an annual check from there on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.