RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1st Annual RTF Training Jamboree!

85K views 490 replies 87 participants last post by  Rnd 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, this has been discussed many times.
I have talked to the janitor and he approves.
Therefore, I will try my best to make this happen.

#1--We need some smart people that can plan events to help us.
#2--WE need a location that can accomadate probably a dozen or so dogs to start.
(hopefully more!)
#3--We need ideas on the format.

Here is what I have in mind.

Central location, southern IN/IL or St Louis area.
Saturday training, tailgate afterwards.
Pot luck eliminates any cost or catering.
Everybody brings something.

Sunday morning training.

Equipment;
I have 3 SoG's but I am sure there could be enough if a few join in..

I thought maybe we could do a typical club set up.
Maybe 3 or 4 marks various distances.
3 or 4 blinds various distances and complexity.

Some fun competitions like a 5 bird scramble, fastest retrieve etc.
Share your ideas on stuff to run.

Every level of dog would be welcome!!!!

If you could help, pm me please or post here.

WE are going to make something happen.
I am thinking mid-March to mid-April.

BTW--me, Elvis and the Redhead will bring CC cookies!!!:D

What do you think?
Thanks,

See less See more
#407 ·
Just wanted let you all know we all survived day, a bit sun burnt but the weather was great the water is amazing and the bed is comfortable at the hotel.

#409 ·
Huge thanks to Nancy and Bart Pals for the hard work they obviously went through to make their farm ready for the event. An additional huge thanks for all the hard work they went through at their own home to host a group of retriever folks, most of whom they'd never met before.

The original concept was Stan's and he pulled together many of the details. Thanks Stan! Janie Hoctel worked the line all day giving great coaching and suggestions to handlers of all levels - Brand new, never been to an event before, to folks running MH and QAA dogs. One takeaway for me that I keep on realizing again and again, "keep an open mind". If you close your mind and don't pay attention to other folks, who have success in the game with their own dogs, you may miss something. At this point in my dog game life, I really like discussing ideas to see how I'd approach it, and how others may do it. Frankly I wish that Janie, and her poor husband Duane, who never got any RTF/Avery raffle tickets, lived closer. I'd like to train with them more!

I met so many great new people, and rather than list names, I'll just keep it general. Everyone was really great.

Thanks to all of the RTF sponsors for keeping RTF running. Without this thread, many of the folks who met this weekend, would not have done so. I think we picked up some new folks in our sport, and I know of at least one situation where a couple new training partners were formed. Turns out they live only 20 minutes apart!

Special thanks to David Carrington and Avery. We had a cool raffle at the end of the day and everyone left with some cool merchandise. Caps, bumpers, streamers, Dri-Stor dog food bags,... The best of all was when one of our long distance participants chose to take the AVERY BANNER as his prize when his number was drawn.

Display it with pride, my friend!

For those of you who picked up the new generation of Avery hexabumpers, feel free to share your thoughts. They're more flexible/softer these days. What do you think?

Thanks to all of you...

Nancy's my hero. :cool:

Chris

#411 ·
Very nicely said, Chris. I won't repeat what you said, just agree with you 200%.
Oh, and I had no idea we have so many young, good looking men on this forum ;-)

#415 ·
I do believe that was the view from the long bird station today!

#416 · (Edited)
a few random thoughts...
Nancy was right, those burgers are to die for! And the Moonshine Burger place is something you just have to experience. Can't even describe it. (although here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine,_Illinois ).
Nancy's grounds are stunning. Her "garage" (shed?) is nicer than most houses I've been in. The buck rack on the wall is the biggest I've ever seen.
Archie is awesome. Handsome and full of himself.
Amazing array of food! Stan's bratwurst were terrific, recipe had to be had! Tons of salads, desserts, libations. The donations from Avery were an unexpected, and welcome, bonus. I think everyone went home with at least 3 hats, as well as dog drying towels, bumpers, and other goodies.
All other things aside, the advice from Janie was well worth the trip!
A great time. Thanks so much to all who made it happen.

#424 ·
Great weekend everybody! For those that couldn't attend,you missed a weekend with a bunch of good people with good dogs,good grounds,good weather and a Great time. For whoever hosts the 2nd RTF Jamboree,the bar has been set pretty high.That was fun. I will post a link to photos after I get a chance to go through them all.Please be patient. There are a lot. Here are a few for now....

The grounds, our host (Pals), Chris and RoadKill, Somebody afraid of cameras, the gallery on Sunday morning, some future RTF'ers

Our host...

#433 ·
Thank you...
- Road Kill (Stan) for getting the ball rolling
- Nancy for offering your land and water to train on and gorgeous shed to enjoy our meal in
- Janie for organizing the setups and instructions to handlers
- Illinois Bob for spending two days taking photos in the field
- Avery for the numerous door prizes
- RTF members who worked in the field as bird boys
- All RTF attendees for the laughs

And as I said earlier - what happens in Casey stays in Casey. Right Justin and Matt?

#435 · (Edited)
I wanted to say a couple things.

Nancy,
Thank you so much for allowing us to share your slice of heaven.
What a lovely home and awesome property!
You are without a doubt the "Hostess with the Mostess!!!"
Thank you as well, Bart.
I simply don't have the words to express our gratitude!

Chris,
Thank you for allowing the resource to be used for us to gather.
When I think of Chris Atkinson I think of the consumate Gentleman!

Janie,
You are my hero, my mentor and the best coach I ever played for.

Illinois Bob,
What selfless dedication to providing memories for all!

To the rest, you should be SOOOOO proud of yourselves.
You traveled and gathered and shared in your love for your dogs!
YOU made this happen!!!!
You guys are awesome!

Thanks for a lifetime memory!!!!

......more later..........

#439 ·
and many, many thanks to Illinois Bob for tirelessly recording everything for us! He even came without a dog, just to take the photos for us.
Even though when he took a photo of my dog he said something to the effect of,
"I have to get this picture! That's something you almost never see....a Golden with a bird in its mouth!" :p

#443 ·
"I have to get this picture! That's something you almost never see....a Golden with a bird in its mouth!" :p
That's like having a camera around when you see Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster.:D I felt so lucky. (just kidding you know) After I go through all those photos I hope everybody gets at least one good photo of their dog to keep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.