RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1st Annual RTF Training Jamboree!

85K views 490 replies 87 participants last post by  Rnd 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, this has been discussed many times.
I have talked to the janitor and he approves.
Therefore, I will try my best to make this happen.

#1--We need some smart people that can plan events to help us.
#2--WE need a location that can accomadate probably a dozen or so dogs to start.
(hopefully more!)
#3--We need ideas on the format.

Here is what I have in mind.

Central location, southern IN/IL or St Louis area.
Saturday training, tailgate afterwards.
Pot luck eliminates any cost or catering.
Everybody brings something.

Sunday morning training.

Equipment;
I have 3 SoG's but I am sure there could be enough if a few join in..

I thought maybe we could do a typical club set up.
Maybe 3 or 4 marks various distances.
3 or 4 blinds various distances and complexity.

Some fun competitions like a 5 bird scramble, fastest retrieve etc.
Share your ideas on stuff to run.

Every level of dog would be welcome!!!!

If you could help, pm me please or post here.

WE are going to make something happen.
I am thinking mid-March to mid-April.

BTW--me, Elvis and the Redhead will bring CC cookies!!!:D

What do you think?
Thanks,

See less See more
#441 ·
There was not a single person there that I had met before. Each of you helped make the weekend special for me. All were great! All there get a special thanks from me.

If ther is anything I can do to help any of you, just let me know. Here at Music City HRC and Middle Tn. Amataur Retriever club, we have wonderful grounds. come on down for a hunt test or a Field Trial. Or just come down to train.

All you chiefs that put this togather, if you decide to do it again, I will be there. Being an Indian suits me fine, and whatever I can do as an Indian is fine. Again thanks to all so much for a great weekend.

#442 · (Edited)
Cary,
You have 2 really nice dogs there.
I see Grand titles in the near future for both of them!!!!

In fact, I was truly impressed with the abilities of all the dogs.
I can't remember seeing this over all quality of dog work at tests!

#445 ·
Gracious, is the word to describe everyone who attended. Everyone was so nice, engaging and helpful, it was as if they had been chosen by their High Schools to represent their respective counties. We had a blast. Most of the key players have been mentioned, but I want to mention 3 more. BlinddogMaddie, blind dog Maddie's owner Lennie Gumms, and Bill Davis. Lennie is a one man traveling hunt test committee and set up crew complete with all supplies, yes everyone else contributed supplies and help set up but he is the man. Bill Davis and his lovely wife Sherry came without a dog to run, Bill was out there throwing on every series, and he knows how to throw and help if needed. Finally, BlinddogMaddie is one special dog, and not because she is blind and has her UH HRCH MH. She has that intangible quaility that you look for in all of your dogs, that confidence , that charisma, she is so stylish and she knows it. If she could have been bred there would have been some nice pups and I would have been first in line to get one.
Chuck Ward said this and it might be the common thread, but it was so obvious that everyone loves their dogs. I won't name names, but I know 4 men between the ages of 50 and 70 that in no uncertain terms were leaving their dogs in the truck overnight unless they were in the truck with them.;)

Colleen

#446 ·
I want to THANK Nancy and Bart for the wonderful training grounds they set up for us and the party with the excellant food at their wonderful home on Saturday evening. The technicals ponds were the best I have every trained in. Their garage is beyond belief. I wanted to take it home. THANKS to Chris and Stan for setting up this event. It was an unbelievable how smoothly this event went, espescially when most of us had never met before. A big THANKS to Avery for the donations for the raffle and everyone went home with something. THANKS to Janie and Duane for running the line. THANKS to Illinois Bob for taking the pic's, which we will all see soon. THANKS to everyone who showed up. Everybody took turns working and it went great. The setups were advanced concepts, but each setup was broken down so you could teach a new dog how to run it, whether moving up or running as singles. People were ready at the guns stations to help out if the dog needed it. All the dogs did great. You could not ask for better weather with temps in the 70's. Instead of running on water (ice) back home, we got to run in the water here. THANKS AGAIN to everyone, we had a awesome time.

#447 ·
You know Lennie, you and Maddie are an inspiration.
I mean that sincerely!

No more excuses that it is too hard!
When it gets hard, I will think of you and "blinddogmaddie!"

#450 · (Edited)
Couple questions:

What is all the talk about "SPOONING?"
Is it true someone got BANNED from a trailer park???

Is it CDT or CST?

Did anyone see the guy with the plate of deserts BIGGER than HE was??????

I hear things!!!!!!!!!

#451 ·
and why was someone texting someone else at 2:10 a.m. saying he had just gotten out of the shower, and wanting to know if she was up?
I hear things, too ;)

#453 ·
I sure would like to know the names that go with the faces! Is that info classified? Need to know basis? :cool:

#456 ·
2Tall, most of us had long drives yesterday afternoon so give us sometime to unpack and get reorganized. I'm sure as the pictures start coming out, names will start appearing. I know that Bob alone took hundreds of pic's and it takes time to go through them. Of course, going to the Jamboree, it was nice to put faces together with the names. I sure met a lot of wonderful and fun people over the weekend with lots of laughs.

#457 ·
Len, I DO understand about needing time to settle back into real life! I'm just really eager to see who's who. I recognize Chris, Stan, Nancy, Becky and Ill. Bob from either photos or face to face. Trying to sort out who all those standing around the Avery table and in the field. I'm sure a lot of us that wished we could have gone will enjoy all the photos and names!

#462 ·
Chris...You'll be glad to know and probably sleep better knowing that dang drip on the trailers water tank valve is fixed!

#463 ·
Thank you Matt! I was thinking about that drip last night when I was cleaning some stuff up in my truck.

How did you wind up doing it? Did you get a hosebib to MPT adapter? Did you take that gate valve off and replace it?

You did make that one piece of road a lot less dusty than the rest.

#464 ·
Adapter and a new valve....Like a charm!

I just let the drip clean the dust off that side of the trailer on the way home! Unfortunately there was still some dust when I made it home! Figures

#466 ·
i ended up making it back just before 1 am this morning but i would gladly make the drive again it was a blast and i have a sun burn to show off to all my buddies here in sd one guy even comented on my "racoon eyes" from where my sunglasses were.

by the way there was no spooning going on i dont think Matt would be that good of a cuddler anyway he snores:rolleyes::rolleyes:

#468 ·
That's my built in rape alarm Justin...Notice every time you'd try to get close I'd start snoring? Lol

#469 ·
Glad to see you made it home safely justin. That's one long drive. It was great meeting you. Good thing you didn't have Illinois Bob as your guide thru Illinois, you would still be driving. He guided me so I know.

#470 ·
Hated to miss it. Glad you all had a good time and a good turnout. Can't wait til the next one.

#471 ·
Hello jamboree peeps
I wanted to say Thankyou to stan and chris for putting this great weekend together.
Also Thankyou nancy for the beautiful ground,great food and awesome hospitality.
It was so nice meeting everyone and their dogs.it was nice to see a group of people
Come together for a common cause,that being training and fellowship.
I saw so mary great dogs worker,it was impressive.
I feel honored to have been able to run dogs side by side with all of you.
Thanyou

#477 ·
I'm a little late getting to this thread, but I'd like to outline some things that I learned over the weekend. Here goes...

- Nancy and Bart are wonderful people and fantastic hosts - opening up their amazing training grounds and "shed" (that is nicer than my house) to this crew
- Stan is a great guy, and did a great job organizing and planning this little soiree
- Gasaway loves wine coolers, or champagne spritzers, or whatever that fruity crap was...
- Chris is as cool in person as he is online
- Janie is a heck of a coach, giving great handling and training tips to us rookies and the experienced alike
- Avery is really generous - and the new bumpers are way softer and way better (in my opinion) than the old design
- Bill can throw a bird like nobody's business - and is especially talented at helping dogs at just the right time
- Justin has really questionable taste in "roomies"
- Cary has great dogs and great stories
- 20 or so retriever people can train and hang out together for two days - be nice, be productive, and all get along...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.