The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: State of the Union Address

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    They have been caught. One of them was loose on probation for a (ready for this one?.........I almost hate to say it ) gun charge of some sort!! The irony slays me.

The shooting was apparently a case of mistaken identity. I sort of hesitate to say this, but the dad looked a bit gangsta to me, but that just maybe the Chi-town look these days.
    Really? ?? JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Then after a new episode of Justified, my new favorite evening drama, then hit the desk…… Why, what else was good on television last evening?
    Ken you duplicated my evening.. I can't stand to watch any politics any more. I am glad I am OLD as I won't be around to see the total demise of this country.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA)
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised

www.sundownlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Really? ?? JD
    Here's a link to the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/justic...iref=allsearch
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Thanks for the link Hugh. My "really" comment had to do with your observation of Dad looking somewhat "gangsta" himself.

FWIW so do some of the RTF hat pictures.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Thanks for the link Hugh. My "really" comment had to do with your observation of Dad looking somewhat "gangsta" himself.

JD
    If the forum would allow such short responses, I would have simply replied "Ah" As in "I gotcha".
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I understand the POTUS also mentioned raising the min. wage to $9.00/hr. That sure won't help the lower-skilled people get jobs. If employers have to pay more, they will expect more. All consumers will, of course, pay more for the product or service.

In fact, employers already expect more for an hour's wage. Remember when a secretary had to type and take shorthand, and actually had to know how to spell? Computers made some of that easier, but that was replaced with needing to know about Word and Xcel, and how to share those files. I can attest that it was a lot easier to understand Xcel by having an understanding of algebra. (I'm so old I started with Lotus 123 on DOS!)

If our educational system is so abysmal, how can people be trained to operate these pieces of software if they don't have reading comprehension or have some familiarity with high school freshman algebra? So, what good is raising the minimum wage going to do to solve that problem? Of course, if everyone who already has a minimum wage job, it might raise their income high enough so they will have to pay some taxes? I'd guess that more likely is that those workers already experienced will expect a raise above those who are less skilled. That has been the case in the past. Now, those higher-ranked workers, who are already paying income taxes, will get to pay more taxes
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Some background on the 102-yr-old woman who was at the SOTU speech. The story seemed to be that she had to wait for many hours in a long line, with some additional implication that maybe she was purposely being denied the ability to vote.

Actually, she immigrated to the US from Haiti when she was 78 yrs old. She had waited on line for about three hours when one of the pollworkers suggested she come back when the lines were shorter .... and when there would be a translator available to assist her in her naitve Haitian Creole language.

Didn't it used to be required that to become a citizen you needed to know English?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I understand the POTUS also mentioned raising the min. wage to $9.00/hr. That sure won't help the lower-skilled people get jobs. If employers have to pay more, they will expect more. All consumers will, of course, pay more for the product or service.

In fact, employers already expect more for an hour's wage. Remember when a secretary had to type and take shorthand, and actually had to know how to spell? Computers made some of that easier, but that was replaced with needing to know about Word and Xcel, and how to share those files. I can attest that it was a lot easier to understand Xcel by having an understanding of algebra. (I'm so old I started with Lotus 123 on DOS!)

If our educational system is so abysmal, how can people be trained to operate these pieces of software if they don't have reading comprehension or have some familiarity with high school freshman algebra? So, what good is raising the minimum wage going to do to solve that problem? Of course, if everyone who already has a minimum wage job, it might raise their income high enough so they will have to pay some taxes? I'd guess that more likely is that those workers already experienced will expect a raise above those who are less skilled. That has been the case in the past. Now, those higher-ranked workers, who are already paying income taxes, will get to pay more taxes
    1968 minimum wage adjusted for inflation $10.51. Now lets look at CEO pay, they make 400 times more than average worker, 20 times more than 1965. I wonder if the average CEO is 20 times smarter than they were in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    1968 minimum wage adjusted for inflation $10.51. Now lets look at CEO pay, they make 400 times more than average worker, 20 times more than 1965. I wonder if the average CEO is 20 times smarter than they were in 1965.

Of course they're 20 times smarter; how else would they have been able to raise their wages like that "when nobody was looking"? LMAO!!!!!
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

JD
    FWIW: Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Stan b & Elvis