RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

When do you lock your dog box?

For those who lock their dog boxes...

5K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  duk4me 
#1 ·
When do you lock your dog box? Immediately after loading the dog(s) and unlock when you reach your destination? Only when you are parking your vehicle and leaving the dogs inside and unattended for a period of time? Something else?

I lock my box only when my truck will be parked and unattended for a period of time. I NEVER lock the box when I load the dogs, I'm afraid that if involved in an accident I wouldn't be able to get the dogs out in an extreme emergency.

What do you guys/gals do?

Lonnie Spann

#5 ·
My box is locked when going up the road 1/4 mile or 400 miles.I have seen enough threads on here about lost dogs after an accident to be comfortable doing it that way .And if the accident is bad enough( God Forbid) that I am out of it , Jaws of life will pop those doors on the box . as always , jmho...........

#7 ·
.And if the accident is bad enough( God Forbid) that I am out of it , Jaws of life will pop those doors on the box . as always , jmho...........
What about an accident where you don't receive a life-threatening injury BUT your vehicle or another vehicle involved in the accident is on fire?

#8 ·
You never spend the night in a hotel while on the road with your dogs?

#10 ·
I only lock mine if the truck will be unattended. My bigger fear is someone will steal the dog box for scrap metal. So I bought the heaviest 3 hole I could find. If those guys will steal copper pipe without turning the water off, they will scrap a box with the dogs still inside.

#20 ·
I know of a loaded dog truck which went in the lake. Good reason not to lock

#21 ·
It's a good thing Bubba doesn't have any locks cause I he did /Paul would always be thirsty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.