The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Watson View Post
    The yellow Lab looked like an obese dwarf. Hard to look at. I wonder how many other breeds (besides German Shepards) I am not so familiar with have been to a conformation so far from what natural?
    I hate the "labs" that they show in that stupid event. Maybe Mr. Bobby Lane could get Ali to show them what a working dog looks like.

Not Ali, but another very good looking working dog (FC AFC CFC CAFC Mission Mountain Ninja "Ninja".)

Last edited by Jacob Hawkes; 02-13-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Yep American field bred dogs are so much better looking and physically suited to the job that it's not even comparable.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Unfortunately what the general public sees on tv forms their ideas of what labs look like. I have a very good looking 2 year old male, (Eba and Ram lines) no bias here . I take him to work with me every day. Not a week goes by without a visitor or guest commenting on how sweet my lab "mix" is. The one or two times I have asked what made them think he was a mix, the reply was the same. Oh he is so much taller and his head isn't blocky! Shoot, this is one of the nicest proportioned dogs I've seen, not weedy, not whippet headed but I just smile and thank them for the complement.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

To me a lot of those dogs are just plain freaks. It's amazing what humans create through breeding. Or destroy the same way. My favorite group is the working dogs. I like the big suckers. Saint Bernard, Newfounland love them, Mastif. My favorite was the Leonberger.

It CAN be done, this boy would put mud on your face leavin' the line and run like a bat outta heck there and back and would never get tired of it. He ran hard and determined. They told me he wouldn't win in the show ring and I saw the snickers as I walked up to the ring entrance that first time and they saw mine when I walked out WINNERS DOG over SPECIAL'S on some BEST IN SHOW HANDLERS...yeah baby... He remained competitive and kept taking those points... I was on a high with a boy that I felt was EVERYTHING I worked for. So instead of wishing someone else would get a better dog in the ring...why don't YOU get a better dog in the ring... and then take him to the field and show 'em that IT CAN BE DONE Never a day passes that I don't wish I could throw for him one more time ....

ClarkAKCWinnersDog_001-378x327.jpgclarktakinoff.jpgclarkndummy.jpg

Glad to know some of the midgets can do field work. Our field labs would not get to first base in the ring because they don't begin to conform to the "breed standard". I always said, though, that I didn't care what they look like if they could bring in the placements and had fun doing it.

This year the Lab with initials at both ends had some of it's best representation in years. Among those in the final cuts were 2 GRCH/MH's and a CH/SH with 3 MH passes. 2 of those were females. While I am not a fan of what is in the ring and the fact that most don't work their Sporting group Labrador, Keifer was far better than what has been in the past. Along with last years winner who was a lovely more moderate female who now has her JH. I for one hope the trend continues and the age of a more moderate labrador returns
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com

Why don't they judge the labs by the akc standards and not by what is fashionable.

Maybe a bit off-topic... but has anyone ever seen the movie "Best In Show"? It is an older movie now... but hilarious...
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

"Best in Show" is one of my all time favorites. You're right, side splitting funny!!