The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Westminster

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I have some sighthounds that were put in the toy group, but never win the group because they are not cute compared to the fluffy little dogs. I heard several years ago they were going to put the Italian greyhounds in the hound group and I was so happy. Put them with the big hounds and they look so cute that surely one year they would make it out of group on top. They are not big yappy dogs, in fact the voice is deep and would surprise most people that the little skinny dog was the one barking.

As for Labradors I have a field breed Labrador that is on the short side, not a dwarf or a pig. She is fast on land and water. She is also very agile. We do not know why she did not fall been her parents in size like all her siblings, but a lot of people like her smaller frame that is all muscle. They think she would be easier to handle, until they see her run in the field or around an agility ring. On a standard NADAC course she did 4.94 YPS and in jumpers she did 5.17 YPS, both courses I had to stop her a couple times to make sure she did not knock a bar because of the angles. She did this 4 months shy of 5 years old. Her weaves were 4.62 YPS. I have not done NADAC in many years and was told her times were very good. Sometimes it is more important to have a big heart. Happy Valentine's Day and I love my chocolate girls!!

Terri
    If you were talking about a little dog I would think YPS was Yaps per Second. Since it is a lab, enlighten me. I know nothing about agility. What is YPS?

YPS is yards per second in agility. Those are some nice times, although I know nothing about NADAC times and how they compare to AKC times.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    YPS is yards per second in agility. Those are some nice times, although I know nothing about NADAC times and how they compare to AKC times.
    So they measure the course and divide the yards into the time? Or do the have splits for each obstacle where they divide the yards into the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    So they measure the course and divide the yards into the time? Or do the have splits for each obstacle where they divide the yards into the time?
    The agility course is set and the judge measures the course for the different jump heights (example a lab would take a wider path than a yorkie) You are correct the yards are divided into specified numbers set by the agility venue (AKC, NADAC, USDAA, etc)
    -Martha Veatch

Lab crew from KY Breeze and Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by laurelwood View Post
    The GWP is the #1 dog in the country for ALL breeds, he has right around 90 Best in Shows. And while there is no way you could possibly campaign a dog at that level (he shows 3-5 days a week every week) and do anything else with him, his owners do run hunt tests and field trials with their other GWPs.
    Really? I had no idea Victor Malzoni, who lives in Colombia, ran hunt test and field trials. Cool! I do know he spent a boatload of money last year, including a private plane, to make sure that Oakley finished as the #1 show dog in the States. He also owns the #4 dog, a Wire-Haired Fox Terrier.
    Ellen & the Jollycurl Curlies
    working retrievers since 1979
    to be some day owned by:
    Thriller x Bebe puppy
    co-owned by:
    CH Sun Devil Nil Volentigus Arduum MH, WCX (Bebe)
    CH Clarion's Light One Candle (Molly)
    forever in my heart:
    CH Wimberway's Curly Baybelle ROMX (Bay) 1981 - 1996
    CH Soft Maple Crossing Delancy JH (Hannah) 1997 - 2004
    CH Soft Maple O'Dark Thirty CD RN MH WCQ ROM HOF (Jet) 1997 - 2010
    CH Jollybodies Touch 'Em All Time JH (Lola) 2001 - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Just to clear up what seems to be a common misconception, the AKC doesn't have anything to do with setting the standards for labs, nor for any other breed.
    The standards are set by the parent club, not the AKC. So Labrador Retriever Club of America, or Golden Retriever Club of America, etc., are in charge of the standards. They are also in charge of educating the judges to what the correct standard is, and how to judge the breed.
    Though it is true that the parent clubs set standards, the AKC board still votes to approve or disapprove of the Parent club developed standard. If they don't like a standard, they will send it back to the parent club for revision until they do.

Long live the moderate Lab, may it someday return to prominence in all aspects of the breed, in the show, field, blind, couch, etc...