The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Westminster

Guess what! Just happened again. But shortly after, I saw this guys 2 labs. They would be right at home at Westminster. Poor Chief, he doesn't think he's funny looking because he is not a Vietnamese Pot Belly Pig.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I've been asked any number of times what kind of dog my boy is, or what he's mixed with. When I say he's a golden retriever, a few people have said they thought he must be a mix because they have a golden retriever at home that doesn't look anything like him!

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

When were the last AKC dual champion labradors? There hasn't been a dual CH golden in over 25 years.

edit to add...here's a cool website I just found: http://www.justamere.com/newsletter/titleddogs.asp

Quote Originally Posted by kona's mom View Post
    My dog is 23 inches and 73 pounds.Would never be accused as a dwarf.I would love to get the stats on one of the more conformationally correct dual CH in labs.
    Last edited by hotel4dogs; 02-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Whats with all the hating on the little dogs?

The terrier group is actually my favorite at Westminster. Its a dog show--a whole different BREED of folks there, I call them Foo-Foo shows for a reason. Mostly I stand in utter amazement whenever I go show my terriers. I've had a ball at the shows--but then I'm there for kicks and grins-not to mention the fact that I like being the turd in the punchbowl. I'm not any happier about the split I see in some breeds, nor the extremes that people tend to put up--the flavor of the month. The question was asked why the toys seem to win a lot--and they do. Its because they are so stinkin cute!!! Poofy or not--they are winners!!

I have seen some mighty tough woodsman with little dogs.

There was a yellow lab bitch that came close to making the final cut that is a MH. I liked the german wire haired and the wire hair griffon.
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Just to clear up what seems to be a common misconception, the AKC doesn't have anything to do with setting the standards for labs, nor for any other breed.
    The standards are set by the parent club, not the AKC. So Labrador Retriever Club of America, or Golden Retriever Club of America, etc., are in charge of the standards. They are also in charge of educating the judges to what the correct standard is, and how to judge the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL NE NY View Post
    Why don't they judge the labs by the akc standards and not by what is fashionable.

Barb Gibson
    with
    www.GoTeamTito.com

My BLM would be considered to be more conformational in appearance as his parents were more show dogs with some hunt test/field trial in their blood. He gets the occasional "is that a full blooded lab?" or "that thing looks like a pit-bull" (comes in handy to scare off people). I think some of you take the Westminster deal too personal. Just because you think your dog is "pretty," but doesn't look like the one in Westminster, that doesn't delineate into the AKC saying your dog isn't a good looking dog. It's all relative to personal opinion I feel like, definitely not something worth getting your blood pressure up over. Someone mentioned the Lab looked like an obese dwarf and another than a sporting dog should be lean and athletic. Well that I say "What is athletic?" Usain Bolt is a lean guy probably has 5% body fat. I think we can all agree he is an "athlete," and excels at what he does. By the same standards, Adrian Peterson (when healthy) is more bulky compared to Bolt, but mainly due to increased muscle mass, BUT I think we can all agree he is an "athlete" as well. Now I'm sure AP could run the 100, but Bolt would probably beat him. Bolt could probably put on the pads and run through a defensive line, but he probably wouldn't do as well as AP. My point being, they both are athletes, one may be faster and one stronger, but that doesn't mean the other isn't "strong", or "fast" respectively for what they do. Just because one dog may be more lean and "fast" doesn't mean the dog that's more "bulky" isn't fast enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    Whats with all the hating on the little dogs?

The terrier group is actually my favorite at Westminster. )
    Nope the HOUNDS are where it's @. WOOOOOOOWOOOO
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have some sighthounds that were put in the toy group, but never win the group because they are not cute compared to the fluffy little dogs. I heard several years ago they were going to put the Italian greyhounds in the hound group and I was so happy. Put them with the big hounds and they look so cute that surely one year they would make it out of group on top. They are not big yappy dogs, in fact the voice is deep and would surprise most people that the little skinny dog was the one barking.

As for Labradors I have a field breed Labrador that is on the short side, not a dwarf or a pig. She is fast on land and water. She is also very agile. We do not know why she did not fall been her parents in size like all her siblings, but a lot of people like her smaller frame that is all muscle. They think she would be easier to handle, until they see her run in the field or around an agility ring. On a standard NADAC course she did 4.94 YPS and in jumpers she did 5.17 YPS, both courses I had to stop her a couple times to make sure she did not knock a bar because of the angles. She did this 4 months shy of 5 years old. Her weaves were 4.62 YPS. I have not done NADAC in many years and was told her times were very good. Sometimes it is more important to have a big heart. Happy Valentine's Day and I love my chocolate girls!!

Terri