The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: left-sided and both sided dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Amen, it was too hard for me to figure out. I have had two sided, but, in the end ran them all off the left side. When you judge in this neck of the woods, Ed, it is fun to watch, hmm let's study this for a bit as the clients ask their pros what side to run.
    I have a couple of good two side stories but will keep them off the forum. When two sided heeling came into vogue it was fun to sit in the gallery at the National Amateur and listen to the endless discussions among handlers about which side to run the dog from on a particular test. I have no doubt that there is some advantage for very accomplished amateur handlers and pros but the average amateur rarely masters lining the dog up accurately on one side much less two. The biggest advantage it seems to me is blocking the flyer which I sometimes wished I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    With regard to left healing, of which i suppose by far is the most common, why the LEFT and not the RIGHT? )
    Could it stem back to hunting purposes. and semi-auto weapons throwing shells into your dogs face if they're on the right side for right handed hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The biggest advantage it seems to me is blocking the flyer which I sometimes wished I could do.

The dogs that I had that were two sided - Ace and Zowie - figured out that the flyer was on the off side and would jump forward to look at it. That's when I said "this isn't working."
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

The dogs that I had that were two sided - Ace and Zowie - figured out that the flyer was on the off side and would jump forward to look at it. That's when I said "this isn't working."
    The problem I had with it was the memory bird, the last time I ran a dog a trial on the right side, bird was thrown right long retired, bad decision, 300 yards, over ran still running. Was told by the gallery experts should have run it off the left side because it was retired. Never ran off right again. Still basic trained both sides, easy to teach, because I sold some derby dogs to two sided pros. Guess I am just not bright enough to do it on a regular basis, not training 18 to 25 big dogs a day to get proficient at it.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    but never understood why a right hander would want a left healer. I'm sure there is a reason i'm not aware of. (?)
    Shells eject to the right side with a right handed shotgun and vice versa for a left. You have to take in consideration the hot gases and noise coming from the shotguns ejection port, potential for burns and the dog going deaf far sooner than he normally would. The other problem is what if the dog creeps or breaks, where is the dog going to be? Thats right, possibly in the shot cone coming from the muzzle, leading to injury or death.
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-13-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

The Master of all Pro's Mike Lardy advocates BOTH sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lee - Timberpond Retrievers View Post
    Some of us mortals are simply not as accomplished handlers as Mike so we make do the best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Some of us mortals are simply not as accomplished handlers as Mike so we make do the best we can.
    No one showed me the rocks when I crossed the pond and went under. We all try . Maybe some day.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lee - Timberpond Retrievers View Post
    Oh dear. There's really no hope for you, now is it? Rhetorically speaking, regards.

Guys this field trial judge's humor might get back. It is humor, gulp, isn't it.
    Earl Dillow