The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: left-sided and both sided dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Is that like: How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
    I've gone back and edited my post and removed the errant comma .... I hope that that clears things up for you, perhaps you can now answer the question.

Sorry for the comfusion.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    In choosing which side to use exclusively...If one were left handed would it not impact which side the "ONE" side would be?
    Would your dominant eye be a consideration ?
    How about the dogs dominant eye, gait issues, or any other unique traits.

In a nutshell, would all dogs and handlers using one side best side be the same side ,and which sides that side be? The left side ?

john
    It appears you are getting some interesting answers.

I think many of us teach the dog to heel from the left side so that may be the side most favor. But not to say you could not teach you and your dog both sides. As you do either one side, both sides or the right side just by doing it over and over through repitition and consistency you begin to get more comfortable with your choice. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    It appears you are getting some interesting answers.

I think many of us teach the dog to heel from the left side so that may be the side most favor. But not to say you could not teach you and your dog both sides. As you do either one side, both sides or the right side just by doing it over and over through repitition and consistency you begin to get more comfortable with your choice. IMHO
    I am indeed,

I read with interest the responses of some on this board about their rational in choosing the one sided approach over a two sided one. I was hoping to get them to extrapolate on this giving some insight to the rest of us as to the considerations they addressed in picking the side..........

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

My friend has her first 2 sided dog. She LOVES it so much she is teaching her youngest to be 2 sided also.

I am dyslexic and never considered it. I kept a pup from my litter that is now 3 months old. One of the pros I train with favors a 2 sided dog as well and said just try it. Well she can go to heal already on either side. I just use heal and move one hand or the other.

I may never use it at test , who knows, but I do have to say a few times running her mother I wished she could have run from my right side so I didnít have to get soaking wet running water marks.

They say with each dog you learn something new. Well maybe with Pesto I will learn how to use a 2 sided dog.

Pattie
    Effective gun control is hitting what you aim at!