The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: left-sided and both sided dogs

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    this is how we use a heeling stick in training....

That is probably the best way, my dogs are so unfamiliar with it they would probably respond the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchm View Post
    Doesn't Andy train your dogs?
    Yes, but not all of them. He had this one. Mr
    Helpful dog. Andy would misplace his heeling stick, which he does not use all that often, and Gavel would promptly find it and bring it to him!
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 02-15-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    When our dogs return with a bird, many handlers bring dog to heel and with bird in mouth focus dog on next bird for a moment before taking bird. make sense?
    Our trials require (written into the regulations) that the bird is brought back quickly and efficiently to hand, so it can be dispatched promptly if necessary. So the bird is taken straight off the dog at the front as it comes in. There is no race to get the dog self set up again for the next mark in the heel position, as there isn't one!!! LOL In our field trials, the dogs don't have two retrieves on the trot. The next bird shot will be their co-competitor's retrieve (unless they fail on it, and then they will be called into eye wipe.....). Clear as mud??!! Bit complicated to explain. But, in a nutshell, there are no doubles (or trebles) in trialling here. (but there are in artificial working tests)

As Polmaise says, the dogs in training look a bit more attentive than when live game is brought into the situation, and then their focus is naturally 'out there' more...

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Believe me that focus changes when in a 'Live game environment' ,certainly further north of KM, the norm, is 'Walk up' ,whether in competition or 'Rough shooting'!..even then ,On a 'Driven game day', the focus is 'All on the field'...The training scenarios and set ups /drills ,only give a 'Nursery course' to what may be encountered. Invariably,it is the experience of actually 'shooting in all environments' that 'trains/learns the dog (over here)
    We're all 'walked up' here too Pol! I'm not that far South!!! Really don't like Driven trials (too 'cold game test' for my liking).

In choosing which side to use exclusively...If one were left handed would it not impact which side the "ONE" side would be?
    Would your dominant eye be a consideration ?
    How about the dogs dominant eye, gait issues, or any other unique traits.

In a nutshell, would all dogs and handlers using one side best side be the same side ,and which sides that side be? The left side ?

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 02-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by kennel maiden View Post
    We're all 'walked up' here too Pol! I'm not that far South!!! Really don't like Driven trials (too 'cold game test' for my liking).
    I agree KM, Only ever been on one cold game test.Even then ,One may have been better using Dummies.(Bumpers)
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I agree KM, Only ever been on one cold game test.Even then ,One may have been better using Dummies.(Bumpers)
    Don't have anything more to add to this thread, Robt. But speaking of cold game, there may be a certain parallel between Mr. Fallon's most recent positing and this

MG

j/k, John

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post

In a nutshell, would all dogs and handlers using one side ,best side be the same side ,and which sides that side be? The left side ?

john
    Is that like: How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Don't have anything more to add to this thread, Robt.
    MG
    I believe you are right MG. But it was a useful journey for me! (sorry again if I hijacked the op)..
    As you know MG I am more straight talking,than all the fancy 'cyber lingo'!...Anyhow, Hope it answered your 'query' a little regarding them 'UK' propeller cast off drills
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    That is probably the best way, my dogs are so unfamiliar with it they would probably respond the same way.
    Yeppers...
    The problems of today cannot be solved the with same of thinking that created them.