The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: left-sided and both sided dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

The dogs that I had that were two sided - Ace and Zowie - figured out that the flyer was on the off side and would jump forward to look at it. That's when I said "this isn't working."
    One of my dogs went BEHIND me to swing to the flyer once many moons ago.
    Just teach em to watch birds regards.
    Marcy Wright

I started my dog out when he was a pup working off of both sides and he runs equally as well on both sides. I find it comes in handy on poison bird blinds I line him up on the side the poison bird is on then after it's down I say dead and have him go to my other side to run the blind when he come back I then have him heel on the side the poison bird is and send him for that.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

[QUOTE=EdA;1068226]I have a couple of good two side stories but will keep them off the forum. When two sided heeling came into vogue it was fun to sit in the gallery at the National Amateur and listen to the endless discussions among handlers about which side to run the dog from on a particular test. I have no doubt that there is some advantage for very accomplished amateur handlers and pros but the average amateur rarely masters lining the dog up accurately on one side much less two. The biggest advantage it seems to me is blocking the flyer which I sometimes wished I could do.[/QUOTE

AMEN.....I agree with Ed's whole premise but the highlights especially!!!!!

I typically teach two sided heeling but its never done a thing to improve marking. It has some slight advantages in certain concepts but it won't help the dog know where the birds are.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I typically teach two sided heeling but its never done a thing to improve marking. It has some slight advantages in certain concepts but it won't help the dog know where the birds are.

/Paul
    Can you share those concepts?
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

I try to use it. I think it's helped me occasionally, for the things already mentioned. Of course there have probably been times where it hurt too. I try to do it in training enough that the dog is at least comfortable with being there. Helps in pushing a dog to the right.

You sometimes see a test where handlers think having the dog on the right is an advantage. Someone usually goes up with a one sided (left) dog and tries to get him to sit on the right, the dog sits then realizes where he is and goes to the left. Dogs that aren't used to it sure don't want to be there.

If you see he's committed to going where other dogs have headed and failed, if he won't move you can at least try the other side. Might give him a chance to see things your way. Kind of a "break the spell" thing.

Most of the big name handlers I see are usually left side only. Impressive to watch a Pro run all the dogs. I have trouble recognizing who's who, let alone remember which are two sided.

I remember reading long ago that dogs are heeled on the left because most shooters are right handed and the gun is on the right.
    Last edited by John Lash; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I think it advantageous with 2 sides for Honoring/working at the line or even walk ups. never know if ya get an unrully dog to go with.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

granted my guy is only 11 months and just going through TT but i have found two sided very advantageous. in doubles and triples i send him from right for right bird and left for left bird. maybe this isnt what its intended for but it works for him. when he is returning from a mark i stick my hand to the side i wont him to heal to and he does. if i dont stick my hand out (for example after picking up go bird on a triple) i let him pick the side (im assuming this is secondary selection) and line him up for that side's respective bird.

i could see later down the road where the poison bird blind heeling trick could help down the road

one question that i did think of is if on marks if after the retrieve and on his return i give him a here whistle and motion for the side i want him on is that considered handling and a fail? without a whistle is it?

i would like to know if the way im using the 2 sided is correct as well?

I think it is advantageous, and not for blocking the flyer. that never works. It's for blocking where a dog has been ie: the young derby dog that wants to look short and to the left again at the flyer station. Step up on them for the memory bird and talk them into it. Same for an AA dog.

When the birds are going down, and let's say you have an out of order flyer to the left, and the last bird down is to the right, you can use your leg to push their pointed little heads back to the right.... gets their attention back to the right.

Definitely, some people are better at using it than others... and it can get a lot of over analysis. But, I want every tool in my took box I can get.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    I would sure like to hear some thoughts from the pros, especially the added length of time teaching it. My first dog only heals to one side, but I have two others that im training two sided healing and it is definitely taking more time, and work to get a nice clean heal.
    After teaching them to heel on the left, walk them down a fence line on the right - tightly. They learn it pretty quick.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com