The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: left-sided and both sided dogs

I keep reading about pushing with 2 sided dogs. Never does anybody say a thing about pulling them & I have heard that 2 sided dogs just don't pull.

My opinion only, and you all are invited to disagree:

All 4 of my dogs that I handle on a daily basis are 2-sided. I have found it extremely easy to teach, if taught from the beginning. (only one of these runs trials. Only one is eligible. The rest are just for fun)

An older dog who is one-sided can be a real bear to teach otherwise. I don't think it is worth the effort to dog or handler.

If you take a 7 week old puppy and do all the basics yourself, and do the transition, and do the advanced training, 100% yourself, it is not a big deal. Even if you have ALWAYS done one side (with previous dog experience), you and the pup, together, will become comfortable with both sides equally, if that is how you train. I personally believe one can become quite proficient as a handler of a 2-sided dog, if they start from scratch doing it all from start to finish 2-sided with a new pup.

If you are one-sided by habit, and you have someone else help with the training, you will likely not have enough exposure to become confident and accustomed to 2-sided work.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I like what Chris said...
    Mary M. D.V.M.
    HR Drol'Odhar Ceilidh of Bearcreek SH
    HRCH UH Drol'Odhar Dannarra Es Mia SH
    HRCH UH Drol'Odhar Aidan Onchu MH
    Drol'Odhar Kellan nam Cumoran JH

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I keep reading about pushing with 2 sided dogs. Never does anybody say a thing about pulling them & I have heard that 2 sided dogs just don't pull.
    I'm not sure what is intended by the term "never".

If one trains to push and pull with a 2-sided dog in training, he will likely find that his dog will push and pull in a trial. If one does not train to push and pull with a 2-sided dog then he should not expect him to do it in a trial.

I would agree, however, that if one has a 2-sided dog, they will naturally, in a trial, tend to work on a push, more than a pull since it is a more positive, strong-side move. If one only trains one-sided, they have no choice but to rely upon a pull, in situations where a 2-sided dog may not need to that as much.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Never was obviously a bad word choice. Just don't pull like they should or to the degree desired I guess would be better.

Never was obviously a bad word choice. Just don't pull like they should or to the degree desired I guess would be better.
    Maybe it is because a 2-sided dog does not need the reliance on a pull that a one sided dog would. That may be one of the alleged, yet frequently unproven/uncontested benefits of 2-sided heeling.

Some like it "simple" some like more choices.

Some would consider it more "simple" to have a 2 sided dog.

Some would consider it more "complicated" to have a 2 sided dog.

Some folks don't want to have a clutch and a standard transmission, thinking it much easier to drink a cup of coffee and just drive. They feel they have much better control. Some folks want to have a standard transmission and be able to downshift, ride the clutch, transmission break, etc. They feel they have much better control too. In the end, they are probably both right, for the way they both drive.

Neither is wrong.

There are 2-sided and 1-sided handlers/trainers that will likey accomplish more than 99.9% of us on here!

Lonnie Spann only runs Jack from the left side.

Lonnie Spann

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    After teaching them to heel on the left, walk them down a fence line on the right - tightly. They learn it pretty quick.
    Thanks, I will give that a try with my pup. Just to clarify it isnt so much the walking at heel that gives me the problem, its the here and getting them to sit at heal that seems to be the challenge as it is always sloppy, mostly due to dog being confused as to what im asking, just keep at it with the check cord so I can guide them until they get it down. I have worked my 2 year old CLF through it, just looking to make it as easy on myself and the dogs as possible
    Last edited by thelast2; 02-14-2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Maybe it is because a 2-sided dog does not need the reliance on a pull that a one sided dog would. That may be one of the alleged, yet frequently unproven/uncontested benefits of 2-sided heeling.

Some like it "simple" some like more choices.

Some would consider it more "simple" to have a 2 sided dog.

Some would consider it more "complicated" to have a 2 sided dog.

Some folks don't want to have a clutch and a standard transmission, thinking it much easier to drink a cup of coffee and just drive. They feel they have much better control. Some folks want to have a standard transmission and be able to downshift, ride the clutch, transmission break, etc. They feel they have much better control too. In the end, they are probably both right, for the way they both drive.

Neither is wrong.

There are 2-sided and 1-sided handlers/trainers that will likey accomplish more than 99.9% of us on here!
    I'm not saying 1 is right or wrong. I'm just giving my experience with dogs that are 2 sided. I am obviously 1 sided & I like it that way. If you're use to mostly pushing a 2 sided dog, wouldn't it make sense that it won't pull as well with a 1 sided handler? Just kicking around ideas is all.

I'm not saying 1 is right or wrong. I'm just giving my experience with dogs that are 2 sided. I am obviously 1 sided & I like it that way. If you're use to mostly pushing a 2 sided dog, wouldn't it make sense that it won't pull as well with a 1 sided handler? Just kicking around ideas is all.
    Yes, I tried to address that in #44. I do agree with you.