The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Ovuplant-have read all the threads...have another question

Question Ovuplant-have read all the threads...have another question

For all those that have used the ovuplant....

Couple things....

I have in my hands a 2010/2011 article on effectiveness. Excellent results with 450 bitches of 16 different breeds.

Does anyone have any papers on how to use it?

and for those of you that have used it multiple times or that has a vet that has used it multiple times, can I have the contact info for the vet that has done the insert/removal for you? PMs fine.

Looking through all the threads, there is a lot of missing info. For those that have used it, how did things go? Number of pups, subsequent heat cycles, etc? Natural vs chilled vs frozen?

My vet is starting to work with these and wants to talk to someone.

Thanks!

Sue Puff
    Last edited by suepuff; 03-22-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Hey Sue, as you know I have used one. My vet called Hutch for a $50 consult fee. (which I paid) he walked her through the process and protocol. We inserted the implant in the vulva on day 1, she came in season 7 days later and ovulated 5 days after that. We removed the implant on the last breeding day. The only problem we had was we did not know if we got it all, we did squeeze out a bit of toothepaste looking stuff and dug around a bit and could not get anything else. So we assume we got it all.
    My bitch missed, but I swear she resorped , but did not have a 30 day U/S to confirm that. She bloomed very nicely , was very clingy, had pinky nipples etc. We did a progesterone at day 40 to see that she had enough and she did , but went for an U/S at day 42 or so and she was not preggers....
    Long story short spend the $50 and call Hutch
    BB
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

The best thing you could do is call Animal Clinic Northview and speak with Dr Hutchinson. dats dat.
    I think it's technically off-label for dogs.
    Unless you need to bring a bitch in at a specific time for some reason or suspect the bitch didn't ovulate when expected I would do everything else first to time your breeding.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

i have used it twice with great results. My veterinarian talked to Dr. Hutch to get the info on implantation and proper removal. We did sedate her to insert the implant under the skin of the vulva. She came in heat in five days, was bred on day 12 (natural). Eight pups. Used it again on same bitch a year later; 10 pups.

You do need to remove the implant after the final breeding. It does sort-of dissolve and has to be scraped out.

Meredith

Ovuplant inserted Sept 17, 2007
    Sept 21, 2007 Heat
    Sept 28, 2007 progesterone 3.1
    Sept 29, 2007 progesterone 3.2
    Oct. 1, 2007 progesterone 9.8
    Oct. 3, 2007 the big day for Bam except it was by surgery and frozen instead of the traditional way and temp, remains of ovuplant removed
    Dec 1, 2007 Bam whelped 3 healthy male puppies early this morning
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Thanks guys, Hutch is getting a call, but I was also wondering about RTF experiences. There were so many threads and results weren't in all of them.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com