The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat Retriever

Default Meat Retriever

Hello all,
    I have a deposit down on a pup that should be coming home sometime in May. I have been doing research on this site and there is a tremendous amount of information available. The difficulty I am running into is that most information seems geared toward training a dog for competition or trials.

I am looking for just a meat retriever. I hunt 5 -15 times per year, mostly waterfowl, a little upland and the rest of the time is family time.
    I have the Hillman’s training a retriever puppy at home, how much further will I need to go from there? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Joe

Meat dawg, test dog, trial dog...the training is the same. It is up to you to decide what you want/need out of YOUR retriever. That will determine how far you progress in your puppy's training....
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

If you want an obedient dog that will retrieve for you, the beginning of the process to get there is pretty much the same as the beginning of the process to build a hunt test or field trial dog, and the programs will work for both.

I'd just start following one of the programs and stop when you feel like you've gotten your dog to the point where you're satisfied. The benefit of taking that approach is that when you decide you want to teach your dog more, or that you do want to run hunt tests etc, you'll have a good foundation to build on.

I'd go through Hillman's program - since you have it, and when you get toward the end of it, then decide where you want to go from there.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Séamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

My advice is to use one of the programs available. Training is training and the dog won't care what it is being trained to do. Option B is to do basics, force fetch and obedience then fill your pockets with rocks before you get to the duck blind.
    Mark Land

I really cant think of one aspect of training for ht or ft that is not applicable to training for the duck blind. Granted, most waterfowlers don't have the need to marking 300-400 yd downed birds or running a 350yd cold blind. However, the line manners, handling, marking skills etc all translate to the waterfowl retriever. Sounds like your on the right track already with Hillmans DVD. I'm guessing once you start getting into it, you'll want to really see how far you and the pup can really go. Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    My advice is to use one of the programs available. Training is training and the dog won't care what it is being trained to do. Option B is to do basics, force fetch and obedience then fill your pockets with rocks before you get to the duck blind.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, Pretty epic..... Rocks are way cheaper than shells.

Everything stated above is very very true.
    Ex;
    Your dog is marking a bird on the far right spread and your buddies down two on the extreme left. Would you not want a dog to be able to run a line for x number of yards and grab them two without throwing rocks or shells?
    In all honesty it really only takes 20-30min a day or every couple days to achieve this....

Follow Hillman, most of us have used then find a program that works for you, I think Fowl Dawgs is the cheapest and is a good one.... I used it for a few weeks before switching over to Lardy. I just like the ways Mike explains everthing in a group setting and you get to here people asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    mark,
    i am not too sure about the need for the basics, force fetch and obedience part of your "option b", but i do thank you for endorsing one key element of my soon to be released training dvd! "chunkin' rocks for retrievers" available in spring 2013.
    john mccallie

I wonder if we could patent a Retriever Handler Flagged Rock Chucker. It would accurately launch a flagged rock on a high arching trajectory with a big (biodegradable) flag that would land on the downed bird. It would then squeal, quack, whistle, kick, flash, and splash and generally make a fuss until the dog (wearing a sensor attached to his collar) got near enough, at which time it would turn off, sink under the water and swim itself back to the blind. The dog would then see the downed bird, and return it. Would you endorse that in your book Roseberry?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Séamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass77 View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a deposit down on a pup that should be coming home sometime in May. I have been doing research on this site and there is a tremendous amount of information available. The difficulty I am running into is that most information seems geared toward training a dog for competition or trials.

I am looking for just a meat retriever. I hunt 5 -15 times per year, mostly waterfowl, a little upland and the rest of the time is family time.
    I have the Hillman’s training a retriever puppy at home, how much further will I need to go from there? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Sounds like the same place I was at 3.5 years ago, Now I have 4 Labs run in every Hunt Test I can manage to get too, so my advice would be, beings you already have Hillmans puppy video go get Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics 1 & 2 Cost you about $50 for both and see where you are at, in say 6 months. At which time if the Retriever bug has bit you, buy one of the more extensive training programs Lardy, Evans, Stawski and there are others. Good Luck
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    mark,
    i am not too sure about the need for the basics, force fetch and obedience part of your "option b", but i do thank you for endorsing one key element of my soon to be released training dvd! "chunkin' rocks for retrievers" available in spring 2013.
    Just be sure to give me credit as one of the innovative pioneers of this great training technique. You can even put me on the cover in exchange for a small portion of the proceeds.

I remember having a lot more time and extra money when I was using this training program
    Mark Land