The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meat Retriever

I also didn't have any rocks in my yard. Mowing the lawn was also safer then.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Sounds like the same place I was at 3.5 years ago, Now I have 4 Labs run in every Hunt Test I can manage to get too, so my advice would be, beings you already have Hillmans puppy video go get Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics 1 & 2 Cost you about $50 for both and see where you are at, in say 6 months. At which time if the Retriever bug has bit you, buy one of the more extensive training programs Lardy, Evans, Stawski and there are others. Good Luck
    Akins Duck Dog videos will work well for your situation. I would also get with a nearby training group or AKC/HRC club and participate. You and your dog will benefit if it is only a meat dog. By way, in almost all meat dogs is a dog that would like to be running HT's.
    GRHRCH Huntington's Aged T Perfection MH...Colby (FC AFC Roux MH x GMPR Tyra MH)
    HRCH Huntington's All That Melody...Jazz (GRHRCH Boomer x Callie) Momma's Girl
    Huntington's Cool Customer... Chilly (Lefty QAA x Black SH)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, good advice. As far as the bag of rocks in the blind go, wouldn't be the first time.

"Meat Dog"......... I hear this a lot, What is exactly is a Meat Dog ?

I suggest "Mike Gould's book
    "The Labrador Shooting Dog"

I will tell you this,I cant stand the average guide dog that breaks.I have been all over with my past dogs and killed countless birds with control.If it takes you to put the gun down and take care of the dog do it!It will be the most rewarding thing in the end.Force fetch is for sure and blind work a must in my book.it does take experience in the blind but nothing worse then a dog that breaks on every shot.I used to tell the guides leave those dogs at home!I'm working on another now.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Quote Originally Posted by 43x View Post
    "Meat Dog"......... I hear this a lot, What is exactly is a Meat Dog ?
    A dog that is used strictly for hunting.
    Some use this as a derogatory term to mean a dog with little or no training.
    The term, most likely goes back to the market hunters days, when a dog was one of his most valuable assests. A dog that would consistently bring back the meat.
    A true "Meat Dog" is not a untrained dog, but a trained dog that does not play dog games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy Weigel View Post
    The term, most likely goes back to the market hunters days, when a dog was one of his most valuable assests. A dog that would consistently bring back the meat.
    A true "Meat Dog" is not a untrained dog, but a trained dog that does not play dog games.
    Good job. They do exist.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy Weigel View Post
    Well said. I've got one of those and he's as valueble as my gun.

You bringin him to the trainin day sat??
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH