The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meat Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy Weigel View Post
    A dog that is used strictly for hunting.
    Some use this as a derogatory term to mean a dog with little or no training.
    The term, most likely goes back to the market hunters days, when a dog was one of his most valuable assests. A dog that would consistently bring back the meat.
    A true "Meat Dog" is not a untrained dog, but a trained dog that does not play dog games.

I like that definition. Agree that most basic training/ob methods work just fine. There are many out there.
    You need a foundation in your dawg regardless of your purpose.

Also agree that the term has been corrupted and connotes a possible non desirable dog among the folks in the retriever game world, and some of that has boiled over to the average Joe looking for a hunting companion. A Schism of sorts, not quite sure why: though, admittedly there is a generally a higher standard and level of training in the retriever games. But, the training isn't always in real life hunting scenarios.

I am a meat dog guy, and I am proud of my dogs. They take blinds out to the edge of a rice field, but more importantly they know how to "hunt dead"; that is, use their nose in the thickest and nastiest of cover. My experience tells me the single most important thing you can instill, is to let-em hunt if your purpose is to eat Mallard poppers on the bbq. And, the more time in the field, the more savy they will get.

And for my meat dogs, there will be no rocks (another possible condescending depiction).

Good luck with your pup!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em Shelby View Post
    Well said. I've got one of those and he's as valueble as my gun.
    mine too, my 870 express is worth about a buck and a quarter!!!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    mine too, my 870 express is worth about a buck and a quarter!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep your dog but I'll give you a buck and a quarter for the 870,
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy Weigel View Post
    A dog that is used strictly for hunting.
    Some use this as a derogatory term to mean a dog with little or no training.
    The term, most likely goes back to the market hunters days, when a dog was one of his most valuable assests. A dog that would consistently bring back the meat.
    A true "Meat Dog" is not a untrained dog, but a trained dog that does not play dog games.
    thats a good definition of it from a positive stand point for sure....

unfortunately most of the times we hear it from the following standpoint: guys shows up at a training day, his dog doesn't do what he wants it to do, or can't do a particular set up, guy will ask for advice on how to correct the problem/problems, and after going through a good explanation and trying to help him- you get the, "well all i want is a meat dog anyway...i aint really worried about it" so generally around here its someone's cop out to get out of the work involved in training.

Interesting comments on the meat dog term. I can see how it's negative in training circles but I meant it with the best intentions. I'm just interested in a decent to solid hunting dog but have no aspirations for anything else. But, like one poster said, who knows where the training will take me. I do wish there was a training club close by but it seems the closest is about 50 miles away. Makes it tough for me to do evening work and that's when most clubs seem to get together. I'm just west of Minneapolis.

Seabass77,

There has been some great advice offered to you on this thread, from some very knowlegable people (one of which I am not). I do claim ownership of THE WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE MEAT DOG!

Lonnie Spann

Meat Retrievers are awsome!!........... Consider myself an avid waterfowler too(Avid=Addicted?). I used to think there was no need for all that "high brow" training but the info above is all dead on. Whichever program you find, or parts of many training programs, they will all benefit you and make your dog more succesfull in the marsh/field. More succesfull = more fun. You don't have have to train to to win some big test. I happened on some HRC club folks in town after having my dog for a few seasons and discovered their knowledge/friendship was very helpfull in helping me teach my dog ways to hunt/handle better. I use what they do to train for my expeiriences hunting(ex: remote sit, retrieving blinds, down, sneaking, steadiness in the face of attacking waterfowl, ect..) Good luck and have fun, hunting will never be the same once you start using your dog, it'll be even better!

Quote Originally Posted by 7pntail View Post
    And for my meat dogs, there will be no rocks

Good luck with your pup!
    ok john,

never say never. next time you are out in those calfornia "toooo-lees" and the water is knee deep, no rocks anywhere and the dog just won't get in the tooo-leees.......remember one guy told you there is no shame in having one good limestone rock in your blind bag for insurance purposes! (don't let pride goeth before a lost banded pintail. remember the one earlier this season you had to pick up the next day? a rock woulda brought him home fresh!!!!)
    john mccallie

I was not intentionally being condescending with the rock comment. It does work. I used the technique this year with my young pup. Next year she will be handling.

I am in a dog poor duck club where I have the opportunity to hunt with QAA, GRHRCH, MNH, all the way down to my rock trained puppy. IMHO every one of them is a meat dog! They bring back the ducks so I don't have to make that slogging walk in the delta mud. What is needed out of these meat dogs. Poison bird blinds are common with ducks dead as a hammer in the decoys with a cripple swimming away. Tons of marks and blinds in the 2-300 yard range & occasionally 400+. Remote sits, bulldogs, honoring, line manners are all important.

When I look at all that is required, I cannot think of any aspect of a training program that I would skip. Nowadays I find the training as gratifying as the hunting. Long live the meat dog!!! Without that magnificent animal none of the retriever games would even exist!
    Mark Land

If you have Hillmann Pup, pick up Hillmann Basics.

From there you can figure out where you'll need to go.