The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensitive Pads or Something Else

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Sensitive Pads or Something Else

18 month old female, have had her for about two weeks, she's use long marks, heavier work. The previous owner had smooth concrete floors, I have a light brush finish. No other dog has shown issues previously. She tends to pace and when she gets excited she's on her hind legs jumping like crazy.

Here's what she's doing, last 24 hours she's walking around as if her rear legs don't trust the surface she's walking on, real sensitive like. She doesn't run well right now either like her hind legs are sore. I examined the pads, she shows no sign of sensitivity, no visible cuts or abrasions.

Could it be just sore pads? Anything I can put on there or change in the kennel to remedy the problem?

I have a Chopper dog with a double boat load of Lean Mac that is a kennel runner, regardless of concrete finish she will get into her water and wet sand her pads until she bleeds and then not stop. The solution for us was to make her a house dog where she is a total lush and would show the burglers where all the good stuff was. But when it is time to work the monster returns, which is good.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Zinc will help toughen the pads

I have a male that's full of Lean Mac also with the same issue. Had to treat with Corona for a couple of weeks while kept in a crate only out to air. Then treat with Tuf Foot. Once you get it healed up you need to load the kennel run up with stuff to make them walk around to slow them down. 5 gallon buckets, pipes across at about chest high and head high, bird crates, etc. Anything to slow them down. Doesn't hurt to treat with Corona a couple of times a week after just for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    I have a male that's full of Lean Mac also with the same issue. Had to treat with Corona for a couple of weeks while kept in a crate only out to air. Then treat with Tuf Foot. Once you get it healed up you need to load the kennel run up with stuff to make them walk around to slow them down. 5 gallon buckets, pipes across at about chest high and head high, bird crates, etc. Anything to slow them down. Doesn't hurt to treat with Corona a couple of times a week after just for maintenance.
    What is Corona?(beer)Also what how does the Zinc come?I have a pup that is out of Kicker and she will not stop.Same issues as RailRoad.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

Just get zinc in the pharmacy. I give one littlle pill a day for a week before pheasant season, then back off to 2-3x's a week until season is over. They dont even notice the sand spurs since I started doing this

Corona is an ointment that you can get anywhere horse medications are sold. ie tractor supply, feed stores etc. It has lanolin in it and speeds up the healing process tremendously. It's a mess though. I kept mine confined to a crate while treating. after about 2 days it'll get all over the floor of the crate which keeps it on their pads 24 hrs a day. It's great stuff. works on any animal. I've even used it on myself. Make sure you put plenty on them. The longer it stays on the quicker it'll work.

Corona is primarily lanolin, very greasy and messy, it can be purchased at livestock supply stores and Wal Mart. To toughen pads I would try Kopertox (stains until dry), Tuff Skin, or tincture of benzoin compound. Haven't used zinc but sounds like it is worth a try and other than the cleanup issues objects in the kennel sounds like a great idea.

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Rubber Stall Mat?

Quote Originally Posted by RailRoadRetrievers View Post
    Rubber Stall Mat?
    Thats gonna be my next investment.they run about $40.00 at TSC I believe.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie