The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Removing/Buying Kennel Name

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    , in field dogs the breeding is 10% of the success.
    I strongly disagree with that percentage

Via the purchase contract the breeder gets to decide that. Buyers options are to follow contract, negotiate terms, or keep looking.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Wow, call me naive! I wrote a letter to the breeder of our chessie asking permission to use the name! I am proud of the dog and his heritage and certainly wanted to acknowledge the breeder's efforts. But I agree, the answer to the original question is just ask. I bet any of the respected breeders would agree that if you don't want the name, there is no need to push it. I bet most breederrs would still sell me a pup as long as I promised to provide the best life for it and had every intention of some sort of competition. Even if I wanted to name it with my own kennel name even though I am not and never ever intend to be a breeder.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

We bought a 3k pup last year from a very good breeding. The kennel never mentioned using their kennel name and we had no contract other than my deposit to hold a pup. After receiving the pup we had to make numerous phone calls to receive the registration papers. When the papers did finally show they had already written their kennel name in the box?? I made 2 calls to the kennel about this as we have our own name and wanted to use it. We never received a return call and I figured since this was not mentioned via contract or verbally I went on line and registered with my name, especially after spending 3k.
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

IMHO, that's because in show dogs the breeding is 90% of success, in field dogs the breeding is 10% of the success. Picasso signed HIS name, not the paint manufacturers.
    If field success is 10% breeding, then why don't you go buy a show dog and train it to be the next FC/AFC.....
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" HRCH Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

IMHO, that's because in show dogs the breeding is 90% of success, in field dogs the breeding is 10% of the success. Picasso signed HIS name, not the paint manufacturers.

uhhhhhh, are you sure about that? so on the other hand you are saying that 90% of dogs put in the proper training and development regimen will be elite level field performers?

EDIT: sorry i didn't mean to jump on, i din't read the other responses prior to my post.
    Last edited by roseberry; 02-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    john mccallie

Using a breeder's kennel name is a good way to be able to track down where a dog came from when doing research on pedigrees, etc. It also helps to "honor" (so-to-speak) the breeder for producing a fine specimen of the breed. To me, removing the name when obviously the breeder prefers it is used (having already filled it out on the registration forms) is like a slap in the face to them. Not something I would personally feel comfortable with after they have trusted me with one of their pups... If you purchased your pup from a breeder you are proud to have a pup from, why would you not be proud to display their kennel name in the registered name of that pup?
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ireland View Post
    We never received a return call and I figured since this was not mentioned via contract or verbally I went on line and registered with my name, especially after spending 3k.
    If I saw this on a puppy, I would then naturally assume initially that you actually bred the dog yourself. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I would never buy a puppy with strings attached of any kind including using a kennel name, if you choose not to sell me a puppy based on that then that is the breeder's choice.
    I will bet that there are a lot of us that feel exactly this way!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I would disagree with that definition of arrogance. True arrogance is affixing your own kennel name to a dog you did not breed, especially if you're within 5 years of breeding your first litter.
    100% agree.