The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing/Buying Kennel Name

Quote Originally Posted by 30 caliber View Post
    I agree with Miss Cleo. It should be up to the new owner to choose whether or not to use the breeder's kennel name. I have bred litters. A breeder requiring a new owner to use their kennel name is just arrogant IMHO.
    Well tell that to Mary Howley and many others who have built a brand around and out of their breeding program. Years and years and of striving to produce a fine product. I am certain Mary would be be most civil in declining your deposit.
    Regards,
    Daniel Shnitka

Breeders can choose to have your puppy already named and registered if we so choose to do so. By asking you to use the kennel name is actually a plus for you. You get to pick a name you like. You may want to pick and choose your battles.

Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Well tell that to Mary Howley and many others who have built a brand around and out of their breeding program. Years and years and of striving to produce a fine product. I am certain Mary would be be most civil in declining your deposit.
    Regards,
    Daniel Shnitka
    Does Mary require Candlewood be in the registered name?

Mary did not put any restrictions on my pup, either registration, naming rights, she cared more that pup would be well cared for than anything else. She was a very nice lady and would recommend dealing with her to anybody. The only thing she made me promise to was not to let the vet bully me into spaying to early...She also stated that if possible she would like to see my pup run at an event someday. I told her at the time that I was only interested in a hunting dog and she was fine with that but told me the games can be a blast and to be open to trying one.

I did choose to put her kennel name on the registration papers.

I have not owned a Candlewood dog but I if Mary does/does not have a stipulation about using her name ... Gosh knows I would WANT to show it off

I am a breeder that does have a registration agreement to use our name in our purchase contract. Like it or not, it is important to us. Our contract was modeled after one from a breeder I once purchased a pup from and I highly respect.

As time has gone on I have grown to believe and feel that in this world it is important and respectful to give credit where credit is due.

I am proud to own dogs boasting the names of their birth kennels. And happy to see dogs with my own kennel name now becoming of age to win some FT ribbons, hunt test titles, and other sport accomplishments. The bitch owner/breeder puts many hours of dedication into, caring and in many cases titling/campaigning the female, producing litters to improve our breed, to care for those pups and bring them into the world in a responsible way. As those pups mature and start to make a mark in their competitive circuits, become titled/accomplished/and are bred later on to produce more great pups; the breeder should be acknowledged. In addition, If the dog will just be a loved family pet/hunting buddy ... what difference does it make if the kennel name is represented on paper?

I am not trying to argue with those who feel its not a “big deal” ... I have no problem with those who do not use their breeder’s kennel name....

I am simply just laying out why I LIKE using a kennel name (even if I am not crazy about the name itself).

That name is important to the breeder as they chose is for their litters/their “branding” and I kind of feel it is a way to be respectful to them for the pups that I choose to purchase and become part of our “pack” here

I have only 1 dog without a “Kennel” name - she was acquired by us as a 5 year old and her registered name made no sense to us: It was something like “ M. E. kapplecoff” ??? We opted to change it but did NOT give her our kennel name - that wasn’t right to us. Her name is Ramblin Man’s Blonde Bombshell (If we couldn’t give credit to her breeder’s kennel we decided to give it to her Sire).
    Last edited by runnindawgz; 02-14-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

In most instances in the dog world, the animal's name is the only recognition the breeder ever gets, even if that breeder has spent decades developing a line of dogs that you thought enough of to buy into. I don't think of it as arrogance to use their kennel name on a dog they bred. If you don't like the kennel name enough to use it, why would you buy one of their pups?
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    In most instances in the dog world, the animal's name is the only recognition the breeder ever gets, even if that breeder has spent decades developing a line of dogs that you thought enough of to buy into. I don't think of it as arrogance to use their kennel name on a dog they bred. If you don't like the kennel name enough to use it, why would you buy one of their pups?
    Exactly. Also, if there are "multiple" breeders (husband and wife for instance) you can't register the pup on line (unless they just recently changed that). AND, AKC HATES white out on the paperwork. I have seen it returned to the breeder for clarification.

Mary gives you permission to use Candlewood in the name, but doesn't require it. Can't imagine why anyone would not want to let people know they have a Candlewood dog.

As a breeder, I'm proud of the pups I raise and I like it when my kennel name is used, but I don't require it. The name on the papers is just that...it isn't something you see or use every day.

There are some puppy buyers that just want a puppy and the kennel it comes from isn't a deciding factor in the purchase. Those are often the ones who don't want to include any reference to the breeder in the registered name.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I ask that mine be in there, I don't require it, most want it in there, but some don't and they ask ahead of time, no big deal. I think it's kinda crappy for someone to buy a puppy knowing the breeder's wishes and then circumvent with whiteout or going online and ignoring it, etc. Just don't buy the pup from them in the first place, but, since you already have and don't like the initials in the registered name, then asking the breeder is the way to go.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by 30 caliber View Post
    A breeder requiring a new owner to use their kennel name is just arrogant IMHO.
    I would disagree with that definition of arrogance. True arrogance is affixing your own kennel name to a dog you did not breed, especially if you're within 5 years of breeding your first litter.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981