The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Removing/Buying Kennel Name

Nature vs Nurture.

You may not have breed the dog but you trained and campaigned it.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

I really honestly do not like using the breeder if I don't have to. I feel that if I have spent that kind of money on a dog that I own (which the breeder does not own) then I am entitled to use whatever name I want. I know that breeders also spend a lot of time and money to do these great breedings but to force someone to use their kennel name after spending a crazy amount money on these dogs just does not sit right with me. I understand the means of marketing and brand recognition for the breeder but I do not like being forced to use a name, especially if it doesn't fit with the registered name or in some cases the registered name would be crazy long. What if the kennel name is terrible, why would you want that in your dogs name.

Also, the option of not buying a pup from a particular breeder because of this is not an option at times because it maybe the exact pedigree you have been looking for therefore you want that particular breeding. I think that it is more highly regarded when a breeder suggests and strongly encourages the use of their kennel name but to limit a registration because of it I just do not agree with it.

If you campaign the dog in trials or tests and someone is interested in who did the breeding they can look on Entry Express for that information real easy. The information is there now in this electronic world so that thought process of having the kennel name in the registered name is probably not as needed as it once was.
    Last edited by Lucky Number Seven; 02-14-2013 at 10:05 AM.

This issue would be mute if akc hrc would list breeder same as they do for titles and health clearances, those that care so much about getting their due recognition should suggest it to them.

I sometimes find my self working in homes and condos that cost $5 million or more to build and have never felt the need to stamp my work. Rarely am I allowed to even photograph those jobs and am often contractually prohibited from duplicating the designs for others.

Being arrogant is like being an a-hole, everyone can tell if you are, execpt you can't see it for your self.
    Last edited by sick lids; 02-14-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: missed word lol

I would never buy a puppy with strings attached of any kind including using a kennel name, if you choose not to sell me a puppy based on that then that is the breeder's choice.

Wow, different cultures between the different dog venues.
    For show dogs it is a GIVEN that you use the breeder's kennel name in the registered name, in fact it is a big faux pas not to!
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    I would never buy a puppy with strings attached of any kind including using a kennel name, if you choose not to sell me a puppy based on that then that is the breeder's choice.
    I'm in the same boat...I will pass on a litter if it was a requirement, especially if the requirement is attached to a health guarantee. I don't think it's wrong for breeders to require it, it's their litter, but it's not for me. That's the great thing, there are plenty of quality breeders out there for everyone's likes and dislikes...no need to bash those who you do not agree with, just respect their decision and move along.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Wow, different cultures between the different dog venues.
    For show dogs it is a GIVEN that you use the breeder's kennel name in the registered name, in fact it is a big faux pas not to!
    IMHO, that's because in show dogs the breeding is 90% of success, in field dogs the breeding is 10% of the success. Picasso signed HIS name, not the paint manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by knash3 View Post
    IMHO, that's because in show dogs the breeding is 90% of success, in field dogs the breeding is 10% of the success. Picasso signed HIS name, not the paint manufacturers.
    ...and the folks who buy a Picasso don't white out his name to put in their own.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

The OP's question is what to do about it after the fact, and by asking the breeder, they are doing the right thing. Lying to a breeder about one's intent to use the kennel name if they aren't going to, just to get the pup they want, or otherwise falsifying the agreement afterwards, without breeder consent, is just sleezy and underhanded. Be up front about it, breeder will likely work with you, if it's that big of deal, find another breeder/litter.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Erin Lynes View Post
    ...and the folks who buy a Picasso don't white out his name to put in their own.
    Here lies the crux of the issue. When you buy a pup, are you getting a painting, or paint? (maybe a canvass?)