The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Eye Folds and Dwarfism?

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Puppy Eye Folds and Dwarfism?

I have limited internet access here so it can be difficult to do research. Can someone re-enlighten me on the connection of puppy folds and dwarfism (if there is one)? Would appreciate any links to previous threads or whatever you can provide. Thank you!

Is there a test to determine if puppy folds are "bad" or are folds always bad?

I do CERF my pups as soon as I get them, and have not had issues. But I am interested in what are others finding in their pups?
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 02-12-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

There is a fairly new (4.5 years) genetic test to determine if the retinal folds are genetic and associated with OSD. If your dog fails CERF, you can use the genetic test for further information.

Test for Inherited Dysplasia/OSD in Labrador & Samoyeds Now Available

Ithaca, NY July, 2008 - OptiGen is offering a new DNA test that identifies the Inherited forms of Retinal Dysplasia associated with OculoSkeletal Dysplasia (OSD) in Labrador Retrievers and Samoyeds. OSD is characterized by short-limbed dwarfism and blindness at an early age. The new OptiGen DNA test for OSD-associated Retinal Dysplasia will allow Labrador Retriever and Samoyed breeders to determine if the retinal folds that are often insignificant in many breeds are correlated to the serious condition of OSD. For more information click on the link above.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_rdosd.html

Banned

Right now, any and ALL folds will fail a pup and they will not get a CERF number. There is one type of folds that are associated with dwarfism. There are also a couple other types of folds that are not.

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Right now, any and ALL folds will fail a pup and they will not get a CERF number. There is one type of folds that are associated with dwarfism. There are also a couple other types of folds that are not.
    If you fail CERF for a fold, can you do the Optigen test to determine if it is inherited and report it to CERF? Or, do you just have to do it yourself and decide whether to breed or not if the Optigen test shows the fold does not indicate and inherited disease?

I don't believe this is true. Also, I Know an AVCO vet doing research on this very issue. She needs 100 sets of eyes from deceased dogs who have folds for her research. As you can imagine, it's not easy to come up with this #.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

The link provided to the testing information answers questions asked about CERF for dogs with folds.

If a puppy has folds and the folds disappear when the pup is 6 months old (just picking 6 months old, nothing magical about 6 months), then should pup still be tested for OD? Or does fact that folds disappeared mean the folds were benign folds & not associated with dwarfism?
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 02-12-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Keith S. is kinda the guru on this subject. Maybe he will reply.
    Tom Dorroh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I don't believe this is true. Also, I Know an AVCO vet doing research on this very issue. She needs 100 sets of eyes from deceased dogs who have folds for her research. As you can imagine, it's not easy to come up with this #.
    Which part don't you believe is true?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sabireley View Post
    If you fail CERF for a fold, can you do the Optigen test to determine if it is inherited and report it to CERF? Or, do you just have to do it yourself and decide whether to breed or not if the Optigen test shows the fold does not indicate and inherited disease?
    1) 99 % of folds found in Labs are GEOGRAPHICAL folds. 2) The optigen test is for focal folds. 3) If your dog has folds they will NOT get a CERF number.**** This has been changed in the last year. Here is the quote fromOptigen's site".CERF Certification for Labradors or Samoyeds with Retinal Folds: The breeding advice for Labrador Retrievers and Samoyeds diagnosed with "retinal dysplasia - folds" will be changed from "No" to "Breeder option" if the owner of the dog provides the CERF office with results of the DNA test for the affected dog, showing that it is not a carrier of the oculoskeletal dysplasia (OSD) mutation" Please note that these comments refer only to Focal/Multi-focal reitnal dysplasia (retinal folds). Geographic retinal dysplasia may represent a different, possibly inherited, disease. 4)There are "other" types of folds that are inherited that are not focal folds.
    Last edited by WRL; 02-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Which part don't you believe is true?
    We've had this discussion before, and I'm not going to get into this on the internet. Nor, the bashing of a well respected AVCO vet. Not all puppy folds are created equal. Some mean nothing. The puppy folds for dwarfism are something to be concerned about as well all know.

I have not had any puppies with folds of any kind. But i do know of some dogs, both labs and other breeds, that produced clear puppies later on. They were NOT the dwarfism folds.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com