The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids with puppies?

Default Kids with puppies?

Was just wondering. We have a new pup on the way, and my 6 year old son is excited to say the least. When I bought my buddy Boss 12 years ago, I had no kids. Boss passed away a few weeks ago, and my son was just as upset as I was. No, I'm not getting a puppy to fill a void, I had been planning this, and would have been getting one even if Boss was still here. My question is, what should and shouldn't i let my son do with the new puppy? Just let them be kids together, or set parameters for them? I'm going to hunt the dog, and try my hand in the HT world. I don't want him to think I'm the puppy nazi, but I don't want the dog to think he can do the same things with me he does with a 6 year old. I'm probably just over thinking things.
    Last edited by JPoston; 02-13-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPoston View Post
    Was just wondering. We have a new pup on the way, and my 6 year old son is excited to say the least. When I bought my buddy Boss 12 years ago, I had no kids. Boss passed away a few weeks ago, and my son was just as upset as I was. No, I'm not getting a puppy to fill a void, I had been planning this, and would have been getting one even if Boss was still here. My question is, what should and shouldn't i let my son do with the new puppy? Just let them be kids together, or set parameters for them? I'm going to hunt the dog, and try my hand in the HT world.
    That's a hard one I will just explain to you what my rules with the puppies are when I have one with my wife and three kids. The only thing I ask is that they don't get the pup out and play with him within a few hours of my getting home from work. I want the dog to be crated for at least 2hrs prior to training.
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

Yeah, that will probably be my major problem. My wife and son get home a couple hours before I do, and I know it's gonna eat my kid alive to sit and look at him in that crate and not be able to touch!

Quote Originally Posted by JPoston View Post
    Yeah, that will probably be my major problem. My wife and son get home a couple hours before I do, and I know it's gonna eat my kid alive to sit and look at him in that crate and not be able to touch!
    I feel your pain! I have been there more than once! You just need to find what works for your family, but you definitely want the pup to be full of energy and in the right frame of mind to learn to maximize your efforts. For what it's worth I let the family have free reign with the pups once we get the short training sessions over. I also will work with the kids on training the pup at least the older kids.
    Last edited by Jon Couch; 02-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Jon Couch
    Duck Creek Kennels
    Allegan, MI

http://duckcreekkennels.com

"It's very important to constantly analyze what you are doing and whether your dogs are being good or bad because of what you are doing or in spite of what you are doing." Mike Lardy

Puppies', in the sense of 'That little ball of fluff' ,after 8 weeks old when you get them home ,that period usually lasts for about a month!!
    So from the childs and the 'Mothers' view , it's gonna be a month of 'Puppyness'---If that is actually a word?
    Two kids playing in the yard without supervision are gonna get into bother somehow! But they learn by playing in the yard!...So a balance is required.
    Depends on whether you want a pup,or a child that can appreciate a dog?

Never an easy call' because so many have happy recollections like me from being brought up with dogs around from the cradle,but then it always depends on the environment both child and dog is in!
    Best of luck.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I loved the look on my kids faces when the breeder opened the garage door and my kids ran in and saw all the puppies. They smiled more there than at Disney World. I would let them play, after all a puppy is a puppy for olny so long and you know how fast kids grow.

I'm going to take my son to the airport with me for that very reason when we pick the dog up. I want to see his face, because those moments are priceless. Like I said, I don't want to be the puppy nazi, and I'm probably over thinking things.

You know, your puppy is going to need nothing but playtime, mealtime, and naptime for the first 6 months anyway. You'll need to supervise: at first to keep your son from accidentally hurting the puppy, and then to keep the puppy (which will rapidly become a biting fiend) from hurting your son, LOL. A 6 year old probably isn't up to proper corrections, so you or your wife will need to be present to maintain order. By the time you start doing some serious training at 6 months or teething time, you can start imposing a schedule. I've found that it isn't necessary to worry that being around kids will mess up the puppy's obedience, they soon learn the difference between behavior with YOU and behavior with the kids. Keep the leash and the bumpers away from the kid, those are your domain.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

If you have a good local obedience trainer, I'd suggest enrolling the puppy and child in that class (of course, you will be the main handler). It'll do you all good!

Most kids like to pick puppys up and hold them. I would explain how to do that and also what not to do.