The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids with puppies?

which will you get more reward from, HT ribbons, or you sons and dogs relationship with each other?

I would get more reward if my sons relationship with the dog got THEM HT ribbons! But you are exactly right, Thanks!

Every child needs a puppy and every puppy needs a child. Let them have at it and you will probably wind up with the best socialized dog you could ever hope for. I have never seen where playing with a child has impacted training in the least. Best of luck!

Since mine was 7 weeks old I've sat him in front of his food and then released him to eat. As he eats I've always let the kids pet him. It's the only time he won't try to mouth and slobber on them and they love it. It also gets rid of that stigma of a dog being a meany around his food. He simply doesn't care and just wants to eat as fast he can.

I've let my kids do pretty much whatever they want to with him. The baby pulls his tail, the other his ears and the oldest plays tug of war. The only stipulation was when giving pup commands.

They are only allowed to tell pup 'No' when he jumps are knocks one of them down.

I have an old Football that I keep inflated that pup LOVES! This is the ONLY toy that I've ever participated in PLAY with. I kick it around and he goes after it. Having it inflated really helped him learn to carry big things with his mouth too.

None of this has had an adverse affect on his training. At any point in time during his free time with the kids if I give a command, Game Over. His ears pin up and he obeys. If I pull out a dummy the kids get mad b/c he no longer pays attention to them.

They're smart dogs, if you keep Training and Play distinct, they will KNOW the difference between the two. Also maintain OB During Play. Don't overdo it give him so Free Command Free Time, but it doesn’t hurt to lay the law down every so often during play time just to reassure him that OB is to be adhered to no matter what's going on.

I've enjoyed watching my pup with the kids. Just a year ago he was so tiny and they just drug him everywhere, now 12 months and 75 lbs later they RUN!! Lol

Plus it's great for burning pups/kids energy to let them run around after each other lol

Here's a look at my pup growing up;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo5RWiTObmE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1CY4ag22Ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR6lEuggi6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-nMnDg_s8

Dustin those are some great videos thanks for posting
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Thanks Dustin, cool videos!

Polmaise, I LOVE that picture!
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"