The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you may not want to spay/neuter

Default Why you may not want to spay/neuter

An interesting retrospective study done on Golden Retrievers at the UC Davis vet school. It looks at the effects of early neuter, late neuter and keeping a dog intact and the affects it has on hip dysplasia, ccl injury, and several different kinds of cancers: lymphoma, hemangiosarcoma and mast cell tumors.

By in large, un-neutered animals seem to be healthier.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=10498
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Thanks for posting this. My male just turned 5 and I was thinking of neutering him because he started having seizures in October and I don't want to breed him but I was worried about health risks from having him fixed. I think I'll keep him intact.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Doubling of hip dysphasia for males neutered early, that's will make you think twice.

Interesting, and seems similar to the NAIA statistics. I wonder what they mean by "late" neutering though?
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

not to mention the mast cell tumor increase.

by late neutering i think the article said that was neutering after 12 months of age.

Quote Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
    not to mention the mast cell tumor increase.
    From the abstract: "There were no cases of MCT in intact females, but the occurrence was nearly 6 percent in late-neutered females."

And late neuter does mean after 12 months.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Wieghed against the risk of pyometra, if you aren't breeding spay your girls.
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    From the abstract: "There were no cases of MCT in intact females, but the occurrence was nearly 6 percent in late-neutered females."
    Well, maybe in their study, but I lost an intact female to mast cell tumors. Nasty disease.

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Wieghed against the risk of pyometra, if you aren't breeding spay your girls.
    When doing an elective procedure such as a spay or neuter, I believe we need to be able to make informed decisions. This is just another piece of information that can help us with that.

With that said, I just spayed my 8 year old bitch after her last litter for that very reason, I don't want to deal with a pyometra.
    Kathleen