RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Rowdy (by Pirate) 16 bumper wagon wheel

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jay-Bird 
#1 · (Edited)
Rowdy going for orange bumpers in between and out further that the inner ring on white bumpers. I am not happy with the video but it was the best I could do without a camera person. Rowdy made one mistake and I left it in to show the correction. The total session was about 15 min. and this is a very short extract. I learned one thing. Don't wear black pants when videoing a black dog.

Rowdy is about one or two sessions from completing pattern blinds and then blinds with diversions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wayne, how old is Rowdy and what's he weigh aprox?
I have been doin 4 bumper WW with TY and moved up to 8 bumpers a few days ago and am very happy. I really want to start pattern blinds but I have over a foot of snow that is holding me back. I think I'm further ahead to wait and do drills until then.
For some reason I can't view photobucket from my phone but will watch from work tomorrow. Glad to see you posting again.

#4 · (Edited)
i dont ever comment on the videos wayne but i gotta say good job. if i remember correctly you got rowdy about the same time i got mine. you however are farther along than i am (just started TT). if it wasnt for day light savings time in october cutting out our afternoon sessions and duck season being hard on me (ie requiring naps when i should be training) id like to say we would be where you are. moose is def capable but his handler not so much and these videos are def helpful

i do have a question have you ever skipped a day of (planned) training and seen the effects? we started TT monday and then i had to work late every day till today and i went out today and i think all was forgotten. we had to move up and re establish the back pile after running half of my planned TT (did 1 bumber at each pile and 7 backs) and i quit while i was ahead and before it was too dark.

#5 ·
we started TT monday and then i had to work late every day till today and i went out today and i think all was forgotten. we had to move up and re establish the back pile after running half of my planned TT (did 1 bumber at each pile and 7 backs) and i quit while i was ahead and before it was too dark.
Am I reading this correctly? You are on day two of the double T and are already running all of the side piles? All dogs are different but I'm generally running the long pile on the double T the first few days, spending a day or two forcing this pile although this is not the first ftp the pup has done. I seldom get to the side piles until maybe day 4 and I have spent the first week (usually 5 or 6 days) on nothing but the center pile and then the next week introducing the furthest side piles from up close before moving it back. Once the dog is smooth on the far side piles then the closer set of side piles generally go quicker than the first did.

#7 ·
when i say we are doing TT work i mean that we have started running the whole drill. that is to say everything before hand like teaching piles and forcing on back pile has already been done. i equate this too Pre-TT work or post-T work. to me the drill is the actual finished product and then its just repetition.

so if someone were saying they were in pattern blinds to me this would mean they have taught all the blinds and are now running a set of 3 known pile blinds. i can see where many would say that pattern blinds means they have taught the concept but i look at the actual finished product (all 3 blinds) rather than the work that leads to them (post-TT to me)

#6 ·
Good job Wayne. Nice and quiet. How long for doing the first ring or has done it many times before. He looks to be quite comfortable with the outer ring.
Jaybird training here worse than snow-Icy spots!!!:(

#8 ·
Good job wayne he looks real good and took the correction nicely

#10 ·
Wayne, Im not a followere of the new trend to video tape training sessions for the internet. I see the value in it, but am a technotard.
My comments ane suggestions would be that you are making way too big body movements. That in turn leads to the dog doing the same. Additionally you wandered quite a bit from the center point of your circle. Some of your sends appeared to be 5 yds or so from where you sent Rowdy on other sends.

I like to use WW to get the dog to not only learn lining but to move SUBTLY in concert with me. I think its best to have precise subtle movements. I have the dog return to me at the exact same spot he left from{unless I switch from RH to LH sending obviously} Then use small precise movements to get the dog to pivot or push-pull with me to where he will be sent next. I also find it very beneficial to keep my voice very soft when Im giving cues etc
It's a subtle dance with me leading. This is the basis for getting those small one or two degree clicks in where the dog is looking at the line in advanced dog work. That can be very beneficial in lining dogs up for blinds, finding gunners, adjusting them on their send etc
Good Luck & Enjoy
Keep up the good work

#11 ·
gd, On the next to last send (from my right side) he picked up the white bumper instead of the orange. I told him no, walked out and took the bumper from him and did again, which he did correctly.

#12 ·
Jaybird, Rowdy is 10 months and weighs appx 55 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.