The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting boots---need recommendations

Default Hunting boots---need recommendations

Seeing the "muck boots" thread got me thinking about my next needed acquisition...hunting boots. I want a good pair of COMFORTABLE, waterproof boots that I can wear mostly to train or hunt upland with. So, I need to be able to walk all day in them, and not have my feet feel like falling off.

Any recommendations as to brand, type or place to purchase?? Oh, I also need ones with good arch support...after a bout last year with plantar fasciatis (sp), I don't want to do anything to mess up my feet again.

Thanks in advance,
    Nicki

Nicki, I got my upland boots from Cabela's. They are very light and comfortable and come insulated or un-insulated. Might wanna look there for starters.

These are the most comfortable boots I have every set foot in. I even wear them to work... and I stand up for 10 straight hours. http://www.irishsetterboots.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=869

Proper fit is the most important thing. And since all feet are different and all boots are made differently, no one can tell you what brand will work best for you.
    About once a year, Backpacker mag runs informative articles on how to select a boot.
    Fin & Feather in Ia City has SOME people in there that are knowledgable about fitting boots.
    JS

I 've been wearing Russell boots for years and I'm very pleased. They have a web page and the cost is not much more than quality made production boots. These people will make your boots to fit your feet and they have a variety of styles to choose from.

I bought a pair of waterproof Irishsetter boots last year before my elk hunt. I've never had a more comfortable pair of boots. They hardly needed breaking in. I bought them at the Bass Pro Shop close to the DFW airport. Seems like I paid about $160.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Danner

Get something that is guarenteed waterproof! (not water repellant), something with the Gore-Tex liner.
    Cabelas has decent boots, as does Irish Setter........ although you will pay more for the Irish Setters. Cabelas has a great return policy too!
    If you plan to use them in the winter, I'd get a half size larger and heavier socks. OR
    You can take a pair of your heavy socks to a local boot store and try on various boots, just to get your size correct with heavy socks. The order from whereever you chose.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Danner

flatheadfisher

Gortex rules. I have several pair of gortex boots by "Rocky" they are great. I also have two pair of Danners. They are great too. The biggest thing is fit, as posted above.