The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog blinking memory bird

Is it possible to post a video of this behavior? It may shorten the thread and eliminate any confusion on terminology. You can also get a more precise answer to your problem.

Psalm 18:30: As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Byrdhouse Dillie Dallie JH 10/28/2010 -

Rob

When you're doing single is it with multiple gun stations out? Big difference in "doing lots of single" and in doing them with multi guns present.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Is it an "avoidance" behavior?
    Not usually. Like so many behaviors, it's tied to expectations. A dog may start this because a handler is robotically slow in their sending cadence, or they pause too long in some other aspect before sending. The dogs develop the expectation of that timing, and their focus on individual marks erodes because of what they expect to come next. That's only one example, but it's common.

Kind of a two-edge sword because we teach handlers to slow down often because so many of them do nearly everything too fast. It's basically a result of the training being out of balance. Too slow too often, or too fast too often; each tend to produce unwanted side effects. It's much like handlers who absolutely have to go through their own stylized ritual on line; same moves, same timing, time after time, and they wonder why the dog's focus erodes.

Mix it up. Stay balanced. Do some no-hands sends now and then, for example.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Here is something else you can do. Refer to pic.
    You need 3 chairs with white coats, 1 birdboy, bag o' bumpers.
    Start birdboy at chair #1, Have dog watch, throw bumper and THEN make dog watch fall area WHILE birdboy slowly walks away to chair # 2.
    When dog is able to watch #1 fall for a good 10 seconds WITHOUT looking over to birdboy walking, send to retrieve #1.
    Repeat with Chair # 2 and have birdboy walk to chair #3.
    If dog dogs does a good job let them have mark #3.
    Headswing Walkaway.jpg
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

The problem as my training partner also noticed is that after the bird is thrown so will look at it then just turn her head before it hits the ground.
    Evan, are you sure you would tell someone to speed up with the above problem? I think I'd rather go to redirecting the dog's attention to the fall and then releasing when I saw the dog's attention was firmly on the fall area. Maybe one or two seconds of focus time to make sure the dog's attention is really at the fall area before the release.

Ain't internet training fun? We've gone from blinking, to head swinging, to maybe bugging all on the same problem. Lord knows what I would really call it if I saw it in real life.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

The old eye-blink head swing bug problems comes up around here and generates a lot of advice on a regular basis. Rarely does anyone agree on the Rx.

Yup.

Another thing I might do is shorten up the marks until the dog is more confident on what I expect her to do.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Evan, are you sure you would tell someone to speed up with the above problem?
    If the owner agreed with my assessment, and it's not a bugging or another attitude problem, I sure would. I've solved it that way with many dogs. Change the expectations and you change the behavior.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Well Howard I would call it smart a** answer if it were me. Maybe we're not all experts like you. As for everyone else thanks for any help that you have given me to fix this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post

Ain't internet training fun? We've gone from blinking, to head swinging, to maybe bugging all on the same problem. Lord knows what I would really call it if I saw it in real life.

Distracted by outside source......?

Distracted by vehicle noise or a barking dog in the background, or my personal favorite, though unlikely in your case, someone cutting up in the peanut gallery!
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE