The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog blinking memory bird

Quote Originally Posted by cajundogman View Post
    Well Howard I would call it smart a** answer if it were me. Maybe we're not all experts like you. As for everyone else thanks for any help that you have given me to fix this problem
    That's pretty rude for someone asking advice. Howard made some very good points and I sure didn't see anything smarta** about his answers.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Don't think Howard was trying to be a SA - from where I'm "listening" he was implying the problem involves a little of everything he (and others have) cited. Which may mean there's not a quick fix by way of what's been advised, and that he really would like to see how it transpires before advising further. Or maybe I'm mis-Internet-terpreting.

MG

I don't know if you would call it headswinging or not. It's not that she's looking for another bird, or at least I think, she just turns her head away for a split second and then returns to fall area but by that time duck is on the ground. Sometimes she does it and sometimes she doesn't. What's frustrating is that when she stays concentrated on the marks she steps on them. I guess I should call it lack of concentration on all birds. She never no goes because she does see it and goes fir the mark but its just she's not sure and has to put on a big hunt most of the time leaving AOF. We do slot if singles where I make her stay focused for 10-15 seconds on the mark before I send her. Thsrs if she didn't turn her head first. Any little distraction also makes her look away
    Is this typically the first bird thrown in a multi-gun setup? Does your dog turn away even on single marks with only one gun out in the field? If so I would do the opposite of what you are doing. I would put one gun out there but short enough so that the angle to the bird is fairly wide. You might even throw small bumpers so that a square throw lands a long way from the gun, in other words, if the dog follows the bumper to the ground the gunner is well out of his line of sight. I would watch my dog's head while listening for the bumper to hit the ground. If the dog watches it all the way to the ground I would send her immeadiately.

The purpose of this it to get the dog focused on the bird, through the arc and to the ground, then be rewarded with the retrieve, rather than sweat her out by making her sit for ten-fifteen seconds. If she doesn't follow the mark all the way to the ground, don't let her retrieve it. Have your gunner walk out and pick it up with her watching, then repeat. What do you think she is looking for when she turns her head away for a split second? BTW it must be more than a split second as the throw will be in the air for two or three seconds.

Like Howard said, it's hard for us to divine these things over the internet, I wish I was there to see it in person.

John

Well Howard I would call it smart a** answer if it were me. Maybe we're not all experts like you. As for everyone else thanks for any help that you have given me to fix this problem
    What are you talking about? Howard's trying his best to help you, I guess you misread his intent. I sure didn't take it that way.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If the owner agreed with my assessment, and it's not a bugging or another attitude problem, I sure would. I've solved it that way with many dogs. Change the expectations and you change the behavior.

Evan
    I did that recently except the problem was in my expectation. I didn't expect the dog to do what it did! LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    That's pretty rude for someone asking advice. Howard made some very good points and I sure didn't see anything smarta** about his answers.
    Howard doesn't step in on my territory....

I don't mean to pile on, but I hope you realize that Howard's trying to help. And his advice is sound. He's a very experienced trainer. I just think I may not have made my frame of reference clear about the approach I suggested.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

If dog is doing what John described vs head swinging I would try what he described and put my suggestion in your back pocket for another day.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I didn't think I was being an wise ass either.

You have gotten several good pieces of advice for head swinging. What if your dog is not head swinging but rather bugging? ie. Something has confused her about what she should be doing? You know she likes retrieving but a disconnect about what to do has somehow crept into her head when a mark is thrown. These often are sensitive dogs, it can happen. Sending fast with a confused dog may not be the best course of action.

None of us are really sure what is going on, so you have to read your dog and decide what is going on inside her head and work to correct it.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Maybe I took Howard's statement about Internet training the wrong way but I have gotten answers on other questions that that were and I thought he was going there. I don't need help that's bad so maybe I jumped the gun. Shell shocked!!thanks for all y'all input to my problem being that I'm not a pro trainer just a guy trying to have fun with my dog. Ill try to explain my problems a little better next time. Howard I have used some of your answers in the past so thanks.