RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Table scraps ?

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Julie R. 
#1 ·
What kind of table scraps will hurt your dog ? Mine helped herself to lemon bars, next day was a sick puppy, drug her around till she pooped them out. So what else is there ?

#5 ·
Maybe I'm wrong but i give mine leftovers and table scraps all the time, usually fatty stuff. My disposal is a lonely appliance, and I always get a doggy bag at restaurants for the dogs.They always have kibble as the basis of their diet but when I have scraps I give em some
Hasn't hurt them yet to my knowledge; and they love it!!

#7 ·
I'm with mjh345 on this one.

I have always gave my dogs "some" table scraps but just as a treat with their kibble.

It's only anecdotal but, I've fed several dogs over decades and never one problem from table scraps.

P.S. Lotta Zoom I read your thread and am truly sorry for loss.

Randy

#8 ·
I'm with mjh345 on this one.

I have always gave my dogs "some" table scraps but just as a treat with their kibble.

It's only anecdotal but, I've fed several dogs over decades and never one problem from table scraps.

P.S. Lotta Zoom I read your thread and am truly sorry for loss.

Randy
Thanks. I dont know how common it is but I wont risk it again. The vet that treated Lottie when she died said the same thing happen to her dog when she was on vacation and had to be hospitilized for a week but she recovered.

#9 ·
I feed mine scraps, but it's not a regular occurrence and you learn real quick what does and doesn't upset their tummies - my old man Flash would eat anything - cast iron stomach, not so much with Bullet. All "elk camp dogs" get pre-wash duty ;)...I think you need to use some common sense when feeding table scraps - know what's poisonous to dogs, what's not - watch out for high fat content, bones, etc...and as a splurge my dogs will on occasion get a McDouble with cheese.

FOM

#10 · (Edited)
I have read some of the papers implicating table scraps and fatty foods as the cause of pancreatitis. They are not very convincing. I can't imagine how a vet can tell anyone with certainty that table scraps caused their pet's pancreatitis.

In at least one paper I noticed that neutering increased the odds of a dog in the study having a diagnosis of pancreatitis much more than the table scraps. It seems to me the cause of pancreatitis is usually a mystery.

#11 ·
I have read some of the papers implicating table scraps and fatty foods as the cause of pancreatitis. They are not very convincing. I can't imagine how a vet can tell anyone with certainty that table scraps caused their pet's pancreatitis.

In at least one paper I noticed that neutering increased the odds of a dog in the study having a diagnosis of pancreatitis much more than the table scraps. It seems to me the cause of pancreatitis is usually a mystery.
May not be convincing but it happens. I learned my leason on someone elses part. And I believe my vet she had first hand experience on more than one occasion. Maybe it was more severe because my dogs never get scraps and her body wasnt use to it.

#12 ·
I have always given my dogs table scraps. In fact I have one dog that is so allergic to most "prepared dog foods" that I actually give her more human food because she's not allergic to it. Jett will always get some potatoes, a bit of steak and some vegetables. I even give her a bit of fat on occasion. Clearly I don't overdue it and I am aware of what is toxic and not however I have never had an issue.

A friend of mine takes all her table scraps and combines them together and freezes them in ice tube trays. Her dogs have ALWAYS got this little treat with their food and her dogs have lived VERY long lives with no instances of pancreatitis.

#14 ·
Anecdotal:

A relative's rottweiler died from Pancreatitis after a year of getting occasional scraps such as the last few bites of a burrito, last piece of old pizza, processed sausage, last bites of Chinese food, potato chips, etc. Bad, processed foods. The vet I worked for in college always said unseasoned meat and vegetable scraps were fine ( steak, chicken, broccoli) but junk food was very bad.

#20 ·
I had a dog die a few years ago with Nicrotising Pancreatitis. Never heard if it until than. She had a full blood panel work done 2 months prior when we had her spaded.
Never showed any signs of any problems, just one morning she was fine, ate that morning and 45 mins later dead. She only got a small bite of table food after we ate. Never any fatty bites. Doctor said no way to know but that her body produced too much acid and it ate her pancreatitis.

#17 ·
Don't you think quantity and frequency would have a lot to do with it? I mean like a couple pieces of meat fat or a small McDonalds burger once in a while vs feeding plates full of leftovers.

#18 ·
I just now had to go out of the office for a few minutes. I put my salad with broccoli, lettuce, jicama, edamame, olives, mushrooms and WASABI dressing up on a counter. Never occurred to me a dog would eat THAT. Well, my lunch is gone. If they are going to eat that, I think its hopeless to keep table scraps from them:(:(:(

#21 ·
Well the dog has a well rounded palate , first he eats Prada, and now wasabi, I wonder what wine he prefers LOL

#19 · (Edited)
My pup ate a plastic bad full of left over chicken tenders. I called the vet worried the plastic bag would cause problems. Vet was only slightly concerned about the chicken for reasons mentioned above (pancreatitis). He said the bag would pass in a couple days - and it did. Told me to give her half the recommended adult dose of of pepto and some canned pumpkin (not pie filling). Fortunately, we didn't have any issues.

#22 ·
As many have mentioned, it is the junk food and processed food that you think a little bit of this won't hurt. Innocent looking stuff that over time causes the pancreas to work overtime in a nonproductive way. Pretty soon the pancreas can not handle the load anymore. Bad carbs, bad fats, processed chemical flavorings are probably the culprit. So bread, burrito, pizza, potato chip, pretzel, those bones with all the flavorings on them are no no's. An occaisional trip to Mc Donald's is not going to do it. It is the everyday piece of bread or pizza crust or cheetos etc. that will eventually kill the pancreas.
Colleen

#23 ·
Agree with Marc & Lainee, our dogs have always gotten table scraps with no ill effects, although greasy stuff like extra fat/turkey skin is divided up and doled out sparingly. I think some dogs just may be more susceptible to digestive upsets from greasy stuff; I have a friend who nearly lost her retriever to pancreatitis they figured out was from eating pig ears. We had a scare with my old girl Puffin last year when she had bloodwork done for minor surgery. She had a really high level of one of the enzymes associated with pancreatitits, to the point the vet even asked if she'd been sick, or had gotten in the garbage recently (she hadn't). We decided to postpone the surgery and when retested later, the level was much closer to normal. Since then we've been very careful of what she eats because even though she's never been sick, she's almost 13 now. The rest, get scraps regularly and in fact we do give Puffin the occasional treat, just watered down and in very small amounts.

Gotta lotta zoom, very sorry for your loss. From what I hear pancreatitis is bad news and, it's one of those things you just don't think about til your own dog gets stricken. Hard enough to try and do the right things for our animals, so I just can't imagine the pain of losing one because of some clueless moron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.