I have always given my dogs table scraps. In fact I have one dog that is so allergic to most "prepared dog foods" that I actually give her more human food because she's not allergic to it. Jett will always get some potatoes, a bit of steak and some vegetables. I even give her a bit of fat on occasion. Clearly I don't overdue it and I am aware of what is toxic and not however I have never had an issue.
A friend of mine takes all her table scraps and combines them together and freezes them in ice tube trays. Her dogs have ALWAYS got this little treat with their food and her dogs have lived VERY long lives with no instances of pancreatitis.
Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers
Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, Can/Am WCX, CD
Meg - Elmingo's Prime Suspect
Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling June 25, 1997 - January 25, 2010
Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH WC March 1994 - October 2007
A relative's rottweiler died from Pancreatitis after a year of getting occasional scraps such as the last few bites of a burrito, last piece of old pizza, processed sausage, last bites of Chinese food, potato chips, etc. Bad, processed foods. The vet I worked for in college always said unseasoned meat and vegetable scraps were fine ( steak, chicken, broccoli) but junk food was very bad.
- Serum amylase. An increase of amylase in the blood usually indicates pancreatitis.
- Serum lipase. Sudden (acute) pancreatitis almost always raises the level of lipase in the blood.
Id have to look at more of the paper work at the house but I also remember she was so dehydrated they could barley get a needle in her. This is off the internet because Im not good at remebering medical terms unless I see it, hell I can barley spell. lol. It was her conclusion because it is the most common way of developing it and the test backed it. I got the results back after she was gone. The same goes for humans too. not table scrapes but test
there is also a quick test that vets can run in-house to diagnose pancreatitis
also, avoid giving grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic to your dogs, as well as anything that contains xylitol (sugar substitute)...and of course...............chocolate
Kankakee River HRC
Don't you think quantity and frequency would have a lot to do with it? I mean like a couple pieces of meat fat or a small McDonalds burger once in a while vs feeding plates full of leftovers.
I just now had to go out of the office for a few minutes. I put my salad with broccoli, lettuce, jicama, edamame, olives, mushrooms and WASABI dressing up on a counter. Never occurred to me a dog would eat THAT. Well, my lunch is gone. If they are going to eat that, I think its hopeless to keep table scraps from them
My pup ate a plastic bad full of left over chicken tenders. I called the vet worried the plastic bag would cause problems. Vet was only slightly concerned about the chicken for reasons mentioned above (pancreatitis). He said the bag would pass in a couple days - and it did. Told me to give her half the recommended adult dose of of pepto and some canned pumpkin (not pie filling). Fortunately, we didn't have any issues.
Last edited by Duck Blind; 02-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH
Never showed any signs of any problems, just one morning she was fine, ate that morning and 45 mins later dead. She only got a small bite of table food after we ate. Never any fatty bites. Doctor said no way to know but that her body produced too much acid and it ate her pancreatitis.