The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Table scraps ?

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I have read some of the papers implicating table scraps and fatty foods as the cause of pancreatitis. They are not very convincing. I can't imagine how a vet can tell anyone with certainty that table scraps caused their pet's pancreatitis.

In at least one paper I noticed that neutering increased the odds of a dog in the study having a diagnosis of pancreatitis much more than the table scraps. It seems to me the cause of pancreatitis is usually a mystery.
    May not be convincing but it happens. I learned my leason on someone elses part. And I believe my vet she had first hand experience on more than one occasion. Maybe it was more severe because my dogs never get scraps and her body wasnt use to it.

I have always given my dogs table scraps. In fact I have one dog that is so allergic to most "prepared dog foods" that I actually give her more human food because she's not allergic to it. Jett will always get some potatoes, a bit of steak and some vegetables. I even give her a bit of fat on occasion. Clearly I don't overdue it and I am aware of what is toxic and not however I have never had an issue.

A friend of mine takes all her table scraps and combines them together and freezes them in ice tube trays. Her dogs have ALWAYS got this little treat with their food and her dogs have lived VERY long lives with no instances of pancreatitis.
    Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers
    Meg - FTCH Elmingo's Prime Suspect MH
    Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, Can/Am WCX, CD
    Porter - CH Skylon News Report
    Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling June 25, 1997 - January 25, 2010
    Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH WC March 1994 - October 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Gotta Lotta Zoom View Post
    May not be convincing but it happens. I learned my leason on someone elses part. And I believe my vet she had first hand experience on more than one occasion. Maybe it was more severe because my dogs never get scraps and her body wasnt use to it.
    I'm very sorry for your loss. But how did the vet determine that it was table scraps that caused pancreatitis? Is there a laboratory test that specifically identified the pancreatitis and that is was definitely caused by table scraps?
    Renee P

Anecdotal:

A relative's rottweiler died from Pancreatitis after a year of getting occasional scraps such as the last few bites of a burrito, last piece of old pizza, processed sausage, last bites of Chinese food, potato chips, etc. Bad, processed foods. The vet I worked for in college always said unseasoned meat and vegetable scraps were fine ( steak, chicken, broccoli) but junk food was very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss. But how did the vet determine that it was table scraps that caused pancreatitis? Is there a laboratory test that specifically identified the pancreatitis and that is was definitely caused by table scraps?
    These are just a few I remember her talking about.

Id have to look at more of the paper work at the house but I also remember she was so dehydrated they could barley get a needle in her. This is off the internet because Im not good at remebering medical terms unless I see it, hell I can barley spell. lol. It was her conclusion because it is the most common way of developing it and the test backed it. I got the results back after she was gone. The same goes for humans too. not table scrapes but test

there is also a quick test that vets can run in-house to diagnose pancreatitis

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_u...jsf?SSOTOKEN=0

also, avoid giving grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic to your dogs, as well as anything that contains xylitol (sugar substitute)...and of course...............chocolate
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Don't you think quantity and frequency would have a lot to do with it? I mean like a couple pieces of meat fat or a small McDonalds burger once in a while vs feeding plates full of leftovers.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I just now had to go out of the office for a few minutes. I put my salad with broccoli, lettuce, jicama, edamame, olives, mushrooms and WASABI dressing up on a counter. Never occurred to me a dog would eat THAT. Well, my lunch is gone. If they are going to eat that, I think its hopeless to keep table scraps from them
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My pup ate a plastic bad full of left over chicken tenders. I called the vet worried the plastic bag would cause problems. Vet was only slightly concerned about the chicken for reasons mentioned above (pancreatitis). He said the bag would pass in a couple days - and it did. Told me to give her half the recommended adult dose of of pepto and some canned pumpkin (not pie filling). Fortunately, we didn't have any issues.
    Last edited by Duck Blind; 02-15-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Quote Originally Posted by jecartag View Post
    there is also a quick test that vets can run in-house to diagnose pancreatitis

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_u...jsf?SSOTOKEN=0

also, avoid giving grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic to your dogs, as well as anything that contains xylitol (sugar substitute)...and of course...............chocolate
    I had a dog die a few years ago with Nicrotising Pancreatitis. Never heard if it until than. She had a full blood panel work done 2 months prior when we had her spaded.
    Never showed any signs of any problems, just one morning she was fine, ate that morning and 45 mins later dead. She only got a small bite of table food after we ate. Never any fatty bites. Doctor said no way to know but that her body produced too much acid and it ate her pancreatitis.