The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pup won't retrieve

Very normal behavior, one thing that hasnt been mentioned, only throw a few retrieves at a time dont let the dog lose interest, always put the dog away wanting more.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Going through the same thing with my ten week old lab female. last night i put a six foot lead on her and threw the bumper less than 10 feet. I guided her back in and praised the hell out of her. she did three in a row. Today should even be better. Keep in touch and let us know your progress I would be interested on how she comes around!

Thanks EVERYONE! It's been great advise I'll keep you updated with the progress!
    also I want to go to the HT tomorrow in Los Banos Ca but everywhere I look doesn't have a time, what time do those start usually! Mark I saw your from Tracy do you know?

Thanks again everyone

Monterey Bay HT will start about 8 am but the stakes will last most of the day. Enter through the LB main gate and there should be someone from club who can tell you which parking lot for each stake. Try to catch a little of each Junior, Senior and Master. Have fun, the weather will be great for a HT tomorrow 70-75!
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

Thanks Denise.. First one

just a pup take your time,everyone gets in to big of a hurry. me included

It sounds like you have a puppy being a puppy. They have the attention span of a gnat at that age. And please don't be dissuaded by posts that state "my 8 week old is retrieving 150 yard marks". That's either an extraordinary exception or hope.

There's plenty of time for the rigors and stresses of training. The early post-litter weeks are critical for bonding and socialization.

Besides, I like letting puppies be puppies, that's a precious and fleeting time to build confidence and allow a pup to grow - mentally and physically. That's not to say we have no rules. There certainly are. I do crate training assiduously - it's great for a lot of reasons. But at such an early age, I can't imagine that isolation in a crate is going to make a point about lack of focus that a 12 week old pup is going to comprehend.

Good luck, and more importantly, have fun - both of you.
    Last edited by 3blackdogs; 02-16-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Looks like you got the info for the hunt test.

Where are you located if you are going to Los Banos? Maybe we can get together and train.

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)

Quote Originally Posted by Five Star Labradors View Post
    Typically what I have done with pups like this in the past is keep them in a kennel they only come out to potty and get fun marks. I will use a wing clipped pigeon and keep it as fun and happy as I can without the neighbors calling the looney bin. If they retrieve and bring back I only give them a few then right back to the kennel. If they refuse then back to the kennel. They only get attention for a good potty outside and for bringing birds back. This takes less than a week and most dogs figure it out in about 3 days. Remember dont over do it alway's leave them wanting more you may also want to let them watch you do it with an older dog so they can see how they can earn your attention. Just my 2 cents worth on this as I am sure there are other great ideas out there. Good Luck!
    This is a bit much for a 12 week old puppy. What the OP describes is totally normal and his pup will likely develop just fine with age & patience. Puppies do not have to be retrieving demons in all situations or else be considered a dud or something to worry about yet. They get so easily distracted, especially outside, some just mature later, whatever, but there's just no reason to put a pup this age in isolation to build interest & drive, when it is a most critical time for bonding, socializing and introducing all kinds of other stuff. Isolation to build desire/focus is something generally used in an older dog for particular situations, I would not recommend it for a puppy.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Howard's 12 week old puppy observation is spot on!

Keep on doing what is working. birds birds birds............with a clip wing pigeon start small and gradually increase to a larger one as you see that the puppy can handle the size. then graduate to a small duck and so on.

And as Jesse said in an earlier post, "only throw a few retrieves at a time dont let the dog lose interest, always put the dog away wanting more."

Finally as Kim says "What the OP describes is totally normal and his pup will likely develop just fine with age & patience. Puppies do not have to be retrieving demons in all situations or else be considered a dud "

Have fun
    john
    Last edited by john fallon; 02-16-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"