The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pup won't retrieve

Again thanks guys that's all great! I am new to this and so I joined this forum and man I'm glad I did!! Thanks for all the help! I know it's just a pup that's why I wanted to know if it's normal on the retrieving side! I watch hillmann with that pup and they are outside, That pup retrieves everything but I understand all dogs are different. Thanks again everyone and Mark I live in Visalia, Ca.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beau M. View Post
    Again thanks guys that's all great! I am new to this and so I joined this forum and man I'm glad I did!! Thanks for all the help! I know it's just a pup that's why I wanted to know if it's normal on the retrieving side! I watch hillmann with that pup and they are outside, That pup retrieves everything but I understand all dogs are different. Thanks again everyone and Mark I live in Visalia, Ca.

Thanks
    Keep in mind thet the Hillman pup is older than 12 weeks .......

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I think you had better find a training group.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

So this is frustrating to say. But I have a 12 week old BLF haven't done much but socialize introduced to water and about 5 those in a hallway a day up till 10 weeks!! Last week moved her outside on her marks and she was doing good, a couple times my wife would throw them fro about 15 feet in front of us and Tess would go get them good and bring em back to me. The past few days she will go out there and just lay next to bumper. I put a long line on her and when she gets to it and puts her mouth on it I blow whistle and tug a little to bring her in and she just bites the rope and runs in! I don't get mad I simply just go get bumper try it again and it doesn't work so I just stop for the day. Now my question is, is there something I should be doing? Is this normal at this age? What should I do?

Thanks
    When I read your post a few days ago, I thought you were trying to do too much with a baby pup. You are trying to teach pup to go get the retrieve item, but you are also blowing the whistle and tugging your pupster away from the retrieve item. Maybe pup is thinking, "oh, he does not want me to get that after all" or maybe pup is thinking "oh, playing tug of war with the check cord is really fun."

Then I see you have Hillman!

Thanks
    Notice that Hillman does not tug on baby Nick and blow a whistle and expect a retrieve all at once. I really learned a lot watching the Hillman puppy DVD. The best lessons are about balancing obedience and building prey drive, and the idea that one day should not be drastically different than the next...

Good luck, I hope this helps.
    Renee P

How old is that pup on hillmanns?

How old is that pup on hillmanns?
    Although I think that is a great DVD I wouldn't use it as a gauge for my own dog's rate of learning. You need to train the dog in front of you. I believe that many mistakes are made by trying to adhere to someone else's timetable.

Quite frankly don't give two shakes of a lambs tail from 'All American ' replies...so far.
    And a Puppy,is a Puppy no matter the flag it is under!.
    Y'all, are fantastic at the quotes and links to 'He/she' or them'.(All be it accomplished trainers)..
    It's a bloody pup for God's sake!..Y'all can't be that different in the early stages of 'shaping behaviour'? Can You?
    Jeezus. This one is bred out of 'Copperbirch Paddy of Leadburn', coming here at 10 month old!! -(TODAY)-So it can't be the breeding surely? (Doh).Otherwise they would come out the womb with a Bumper in their Gob!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aEGJLdVknY
    Last edited by polmaise; 02-17-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Clarification of time
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Thank you for the video and the wisdom. I enjoyed watching you train that dog and loved all the praise that you used.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Thank you for the video and the wisdom. I enjoyed watching you train that dog and loved all the praise that you used.
    Cheers!....
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."..
    Wisdom?..Ha! ....Gonnae No Dae that.
    All the best.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Nick looking happy puppy. Have fun with her.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie