The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Hesitates Into Water

Default Dog Hesitates Into Water

13 month Golden Male, consistently hesitates into the water, even on fun throws. Whats the best way to teach a good entry into water? Water is a bit cold here right now, 50+F. Man I would like to see him jumping/diving out into the water like I see other dogs doing. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Does he go when you send him on the first command? If so, a slow water entry may not look as cool, but it's allot safer than diving in. Never know what lerks benith the surface..

My DD is a boat diver and bank runs into the water full speeeeed. My lab is somewhat slower but she will speed up when compeating with the DD. I bet he will get faster as he gets older and more confident. Don

Just a heads up to put your flame suit on, since your pup is a golden. Maybe if you tied a bandanna around his neck? LOL...j/k!!

If it helps any...I have a Chesapeake that got a bad injury as a baby puppy and nearly drowned trying to swim with a toe-to-ankle cast at 9 wks. Once she finally got over her fear and started swimming normally which took almost a year, she had a rather tentative water entry; not hesitation but certainly not a soaring leap, either: more like a plop. By her 2nd year though, she'd jump right in like a champ, even though she doesn't have a leap like you see in the dock dog photos. In your case, quit worrying and maybe think about less water work til it warms up. The time to worry about the hesitation is this summer, when the dog is older and the water is warmer.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Wait for warm weather and warm water. In the mean time get him crazy to retrieve, real birds and not overdoing it help in this. Then come warmer water in spring or summer find a spot with a nice firm bottom and gradual slope into the water like a gravel boat launch ramp then throw the bird to the edge of the water and a little further out each time. If the dog has a lot of drive to retrieve abnd you take it slow, the drive should overcome any fear of water.

That said different dogs have different water entries, even though my Alex is a hard charger loves water and birds, he charges into the water, doesn't do the flying leap Gus does. I wouldn't know how to train Alex to leap into the water, nor would I care to, I'm happy that he enters the water and retrieves.

This Golden is so afraid of water he tries to fly over it...
    Last edited by John Robinson; 02-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Some dog are more prone to jump out over the water than others ..If you want to get that flyer try teaching the dog to go off a dock or a bank that is several feet above the water ...Just getting into the water without a hesitation is all I want ...Like mentioned before the flyers are more pron to injury than one that just runs into the water ....You need to be checking for submerged stobs when ever you do water work with a flyer ....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Is it 50 deg air temp. or 50deg water temp? If you put your dog in cold water now, you will really have a bad water entry.

Quote Originally Posted by yarrowman View Post
    Golden .
    I think I may see your problem

Besides possibly getting hurt, had one knock himself out, hit a log , the jumpers sometimes put themselves off line too.
    I have had jumpers and lungers, will take the lunger over the leaper. It's all about swimming and water being just something that is on the way to the retrieve. In fact I think sometimes the jumpers think they can jump to the bird.
    The powerful swimmers are what you want.

Having said that and some think leaping is really cool here are some things that might help. If you have access to a leaper, toss one bumper and let him break with the leaper, when the leaper gets the bumper toss another for the lunger to retrieve. Happy both up and toss it again , so forth, watch aggression so you don't get dog fight going.

That doesn't work or you don't have access to a leaper. Put on waders, get in the water and have dog come you make it a big game, then toss bumper while you are in water. Make it great fun. Can't train a water dog unless you are willing to get wet.

That doesnt work go through stomach throw some bacon grease bread or biscuit into the water.

That doesn't work if dog is birdy shoot close flyers.

That doesn't work then maybe you just have a lunger swimmer. Now if dog stops at the waters edge,hesitates then goes in it is maybe another issue like desire. Without seeing what it is doing hard to give advice or the training level.50 degree water ain't gonna help!
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 02-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R
    Just a heads up to put your flame suit on, since your pup is a golden. Maybe if you tied a bandanna around his neck? LOL...j/k!!
    It really depends on which way its turned, down means slow and up on the back mean fly like superman all kidding aside too, mine sometimes slinks in the water and other times leaps out. Some are just more methodical about their ways, dont sweat it as long as they go went sent on a good line alls good.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Some great advice above!

My older Golden has the same issue as the OP. I firmly believe it is a two-fold problem in my case: 1. As a 4 month old pup, I was too anxious to make a water dog out of him. Water was still cold and I was putting too much peer pressure on him. He hated it and he was cold. I didn't throw him in, but I really coaxed him in to a knee high back water pond off the river. He went in, and just stood there miserable. 2. Genetically, he is a plodder. He wants to find the very best spot on the bank to enter by...

So ease up on any peer pressure of going in especially if it's cold. Maybe it's best to wait for warm water and make it all his idea.