The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Dog Hesitates Into Water

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Are you not happy with the water entry or is your dog hestitating on entering the water. Has he been water forced?

  2. #12
    Senior Member gdgnyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Wait for warm weather and warm water. In the mean time get him crazy to retrieve, real birds and not overdoing it help in this. Then come warmer water in spring or summer find a spot with a nice firm bottom and gradual slope into the water like a gravel boat launch ramp then throw the bird to the edge of the water and a little further out each time. If the dog has a lot of drive to retrieve abnd you take it slow, the drive should overcome any fear of water.

    That said different dogs have different water entries, even though my Alex is a hard charger loves water and birds, he charges into the water, doesn't do the flying leap Gus does. I wouldn't know how to train Alex to leap into the water, nor would I care to, I'm happy that he enters the water and retrieves.



    This Golden is so afraid of water he tries to fly over it...
    Very good post John. I would like to add that one should treat his dog as an individual in terms of progress. In our training group one golden's water work was painful to watch. Two years later he is an eager water dog. And the last time I saw his water work he had a terrific water entry.

    Train smart and be patient.

    Edit: My current golden takes a few running steps in the water and then jumps. I am happy she enters enthusiastically, ,leap or no leap.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 02-16-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

    "Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walt8@cox.net View Post
    I wish I could have seen this advice with my first retriever, a Golden out of Torch Flynns kennels. I had no experienced people to help get through that period of his training. He still turned out to be the finest hunting dog I've ever owned, but as a pup was a lot like the OP's dog sounds around water. By a year and a half he was a lunger and a very strong swimmer.
    Presently, I have a leaper. My hearts in my throat every time she takes one of those flying leaps into the water. I envision stumps, logs, pointed stubs, you name it, plunging into her chest. I'll take a lunger too.
    Walt
    I know the feeling. My 17 month old is a leaper, heart in my throat every time , not only water but ditches too. Five year old is a very strong swimmer, but, a lunger. The best one I ever owned or trained was a lunger,but, would swim for a half hour on her own and loved the water. They were Labs. The one that knocked himself out was a Golden.
    My training partner has a leaper been hurt many times and a lunger , both Goldens. The antics do not discriminate on breed. Torch was quite a lady, ran some of our trials in the Midwest. One trial she took her shoes off, rolled her pants up and ran from a line in the mud. Us macho guys put our boots on and got out the mud, moving the line back some. She had some great dogs, breed don't matter, a good/great dog doesn't bred discriminate.
    Earl Dillow

  4. #14
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yarrowman View Post
    13 month Golden Male, consistently hesitates into the water, even on fun throws. Whats the best way to teach a good entry into water? Water is a bit cold here right now, 50+F. Man I would like to see him jumping/diving out into the water like I see other dogs doing. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
    Air temp is as important as water temp 50/50 would be a minimum for me and a less than watery dog.

    You have a male golden who may be a bit slower to develop period. Rushing or forcing now will cause you problems later. I for one would rather have a dog that goes with purpose into the water, rather than a leaper. I would ask this: when he is in the water, does he enjoy it and swim around, or want out as fast as he can ?

    If he is enjoying the water when in it, it may be more a case of building confidence than an aversion to water. May it fun, take your time and watch him develop.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Just sitting here thinking of past things we have done to encourage good water entry. If a young dog has strong momentum on land use it to your advantage. Long straight land away from the water and very short big white bumpers thrown in the water, timing is important, thrower should be well schooled, just as dog is driving hard towards water toss another that dog can see . We do this with say 6 month old up pups. Not long swims! Just long land entry. Swims might be only 20 feet, drive on land might be 20 to 100 yards. Dog must have strong momentum on land for it to help.
    Builds great confidence later on with much longer swims with a long entry. We have used birds and shot flyers with older
    FF pups too using the above format
    Earl Dillow

  6. #16
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yarrowman View Post
    13 month Golden Male, consistently hesitates into the water, even on fun throws. Whats the best way to teach a good entry into water? Water is a bit cold here right now, 50+F. Man I would like to see him jumping/diving out into the water like I see other dogs doing. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
    I cant believe no one has asked but has dog been through swimby and been forced on back on water?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Air temp is as important as water temp 50/50 would be a minimum for me and a less than watery dog.

    You have a male golden who may be a bit slower to develop period. Rushing or forcing now will cause you problems later. I for one would rather have a dog that goes with purpose into the water, rather than a leaper. I would ask this: when he is in the water, does he enjoy it and swim around, or want out as fast as he can ?

    If he is enjoying the water when in it, it may be more a case of building confidence than an aversion to water. May it fun, take your time and watch him develop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    I cant believe no one has asked but has dog been through swimby and been forced on back on water?
    Already asked training level training level no response, and indicated that would play, also perhaps lack of desire too.
    No response. Maybe dog does puppy singles. That's the problem with trying to solve issues without knowing level of training and training experience of dog/handler team . Also not being able to view behavior. It is what it is I guess.
    Earl Dillow

  8. #18
    Senior Member Charles C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Marshall, TX
    Posts
    1,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I think I may see your problem
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois Wisconsin border
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Now be nice.
    Earl Dillow

  10. #20
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Just sitting here thinking of past things we have done to encourage good water entry. If a young dog has strong momentum on land use it to your advantage. Long straight land away from the water and very short big white bumpers thrown in the water, timing is important, thrower should be well schooled, just as dog is driving hard towards water toss another that dog can see . We do this with say 6 month old up pups. Not long swims! Just long land entry. Swims might be only 20 feet, drive on land might be 20 to 100 yards. Dog must have strong momentum on land for it to help.
    Builds great confidence later on with much longer swims with a long entry. We have used birds and shot flyers with older
    FF pups too using the above format
    Seems so simple, but I'm bound to forget it... Copied and pasted for my Someday puppy.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •