RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog Hesitates Into Water

7K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  luvalab 
#1 ·
13 month Golden Male, consistently hesitates into the water, even on fun throws. Whats the best way to teach a good entry into water? Water is a bit cold here right now, 50+F. Man I would like to see him jumping/diving out into the water like I see other dogs doing. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

#2 ·
Does he go when you send him on the first command? If so, a slow water entry may not look as cool, but it's allot safer than diving in. Never know what lerks benith the surface..

My DD is a boat diver and bank runs into the water full speeeeed. My lab is somewhat slower but she will speed up when compeating with the DD. I bet he will get faster as he gets older and more confident. Don

#3 ·
Just a heads up to put your flame suit on, since your pup is a golden. Maybe if you tied a bandanna around his neck? LOL...j/k!!

If it helps any...I have a Chesapeake that got a bad injury as a baby puppy and nearly drowned trying to swim with a toe-to-ankle cast at 9 wks. Once she finally got over her fear and started swimming normally which took almost a year, she had a rather tentative water entry; not hesitation but certainly not a soaring leap, either: more like a plop. By her 2nd year though, she'd jump right in like a champ, even though she doesn't have a leap like you see in the dock dog photos. In your case, quit worrying and maybe think about less water work til it warms up. The time to worry about the hesitation is this summer, when the dog is older and the water is warmer.

#4 · (Edited)
Wait for warm weather and warm water. In the mean time get him crazy to retrieve, real birds and not overdoing it help in this. Then come warmer water in spring or summer find a spot with a nice firm bottom and gradual slope into the water like a gravel boat launch ramp then throw the bird to the edge of the water and a little further out each time. If the dog has a lot of drive to retrieve abnd you take it slow, the drive should overcome any fear of water.

That said different dogs have different water entries, even though my Alex is a hard charger loves water and birds, he charges into the water, doesn't do the flying leap Gus does. I wouldn't know how to train Alex to leap into the water, nor would I care to, I'm happy that he enters the water and retrieves.

This Golden is so afraid of water he tries to fly over it...

#12 · (Edited)
Very good post John. I would like to add that one should treat his dog as an individual in terms of progress. In our training group one golden's water work was painful to watch. Two years later he is an eager water dog. And the last time I saw his water work he had a terrific water entry.

Train smart and be patient.

Edit: My current golden takes a few running steps in the water and then jumps. I am happy she enters enthusiastically, ,leap or no leap.

#5 ·
Some dog are more prone to jump out over the water than others ..If you want to get that flyer try teaching the dog to go off a dock or a bank that is several feet above the water ...Just getting into the water without a hesitation is all I want ...Like mentioned before the flyers are more pron to injury than one that just runs into the water ....You need to be checking for submerged stobs when ever you do water work with a flyer ....Steve S

#8 · (Edited)
Besides possibly getting hurt, had one knock himself out, hit a log , the jumpers sometimes put themselves off line too.
I have had jumpers and lungers, will take the lunger over the leaper. It's all about swimming and water being just something that is on the way to the retrieve. In fact I think sometimes the jumpers think they can jump to the bird.
The powerful swimmers are what you want.

Having said that and some think leaping is really cool here are some things that might help. If you have access to a leaper, toss one bumper and let him break with the leaper, when the leaper gets the bumper toss another for the lunger to retrieve. Happy both up and toss it again , so forth, watch aggression so you don't get dog fight going.

That doesn't work or you don't have access to a leaper. Put on waders, get in the water and have dog come you make it a big game, then toss bumper while you are in water. Make it great fun. Can't train a water dog unless you are willing to get wet.

That doesnt work go through stomach throw some bacon grease bread or biscuit into the water.

That doesn't work if dog is birdy shoot close flyers.

That doesn't work then maybe you just have a lunger swimmer. Now if dog stops at the waters edge,hesitates then goes in it is maybe another issue like desire. Without seeing what it is doing hard to give advice or the training level.50 degree water ain't gonna help!

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Julie R said:
Just a heads up to put your flame suit on, since your pup is a golden. Maybe if you tied a bandanna around his neck? LOL...j/k!!
It really depends on which way its turned, down means slow and up on the back mean fly like superman ;) all kidding aside too, mine sometimes slinks in the water and other times leaps out. Some are just more methodical about their ways, dont sweat it as long as they go went sent on a good line alls good.

#10 ·
Some great advice above!

My older Golden has the same issue as the OP. I firmly believe it is a two-fold problem in my case: 1. As a 4 month old pup, I was too anxious to make a water dog out of him. Water was still cold and I was putting too much peer pressure on him. He hated it and he was cold. I didn't throw him in, but I really coaxed him in to a knee high back water pond off the river. He went in, and just stood there miserable. 2. Genetically, he is a plodder. He wants to find the very best spot on the bank to enter by...

So ease up on any peer pressure of going in especially if it's cold. Maybe it's best to wait for warm water and make it all his idea.

#14 ·
13 month Golden Male, consistently hesitates into the water, even on fun throws. Whats the best way to teach a good entry into water? Water is a bit cold here right now, 50+F. Man I would like to see him jumping/diving out into the water like I see other dogs doing. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Air temp is as important as water temp 50/50 would be a minimum for me and a less than watery dog.

You have a male golden who may be a bit slower to develop period. Rushing or forcing now will cause you problems later. I for one would rather have a dog that goes with purpose into the water, rather than a leaper. I would ask this: when he is in the water, does he enjoy it and swim around, or want out as fast as he can ?

If he is enjoying the water when in it, it may be more a case of building confidence than an aversion to water. May it fun, take your time and watch him develop.

#17 ·
I cant believe no one has asked but has dog been through swimby and been forced on back on water?
Already asked training level training level no response, and indicated that would play, also perhaps lack of desire too.
No response. Maybe dog does puppy singles. That's the problem with trying to solve issues without knowing level of training and training experience of dog/handler team . Also not being able to view behavior. It is what it is I guess.

#15 ·
Just sitting here thinking of past things we have done to encourage good water entry. If a young dog has strong momentum on land use it to your advantage. Long straight land away from the water and very short big white bumpers thrown in the water, timing is important, thrower should be well schooled, just as dog is driving hard towards water toss another that dog can see . We do this with say 6 month old up pups. Not long swims! Just long land entry. Swims might be only 20 feet, drive on land might be 20 to 100 yards. Dog must have strong momentum on land for it to help.
Builds great confidence later on with much longer swims with a long entry. We have used birds and shot flyers with older
FF pups too using the above format

#20 ·
Seems so simple, but I'm bound to forget it... Copied and pasted for my Someday puppy.

#16 ·
I cant believe no one has asked but has dog been through swimby and been forced on back on water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.