The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Bauer

Quote Originally Posted by vtirgari View Post
    I came across this article today. I did not know this. http://pulse.me/s/ivP2V
    I remember standing in line at the EB store in downtown Seattle when they had their annual sales - good stuff @ very good prices. Still have a down hunting cap that I need to get velcro straps on. Though active in the trials at that time never met Eddie Bauer but heard many stories, some not so flattering from very good sources. This area was a hotbed of competition with several early national titles so would question the !st reg dog in WA quote. I believe the titles had to do with the amount of accessible high quality training water we had at the time & the fairly moderate temperatures in this area. Both of which have changed. But the ready access to water would explain why there were several amateur handlers in the area who could play the game.

Dart was purchased for $6K after she had her Canadian titles - she produced Dandy, Suzie, Garbo, Sheba & I believe Air Express - all titled with Dandy winning a triple header of Nationals & Garbo winning the Canadian National - I competed against these dogs at the time so am very familiar with their ability to perform - The dogs did not throw to type size wise as many do - only Suzie & Dandy were dogs that were working size - the others tended to being a little big. Charly was the heir apparent in the breeding end & bred several litters. EB was instrumental in picking the studs based on pedigree without looking at the dog performing. Charly talked to me about taking a pup a couple of times & though I liked his girls did not like the studs used. Needless to say, a line that should still be throwing competitive dogs today soon dropped out of sight. Dandy was a really good dog.

EDewitt was the puppy raiser & worked EB's young dogs - they later went to the Gonia's for AA work - Jim had been working in a Cable Factory & liked the job, maybe says something about his affinity to old metal, he had the new guy's job - when they hired a new guy & he was not able to cut the job - Jim who had been promoted from that job was put back in that job - needless to say Jim is now training dogs to the betterment of the sport in this part of the country. He creates a competitive level that is quite high. If you want to beat him you better have the dog, the dog better be trained & you need to know how to BS the judges . I was fortunate enough to know Roy, who was quite a character, did any of you know he had NC Springers before going into the Retriever world? Roy had a way of letting you know he recognized folks abilities without going into great detail.

My part for Retriever History .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I knew Roy and enjoyed talking with him. He was retired then. He learned his early dog training in the army. The way they taught a dog to take a line back then was on a long cable stretched between two poles. With a pulley on the cable and down to the dog. Similiar to the cable used in the 34 ft. tower in parachute training in the army.

He had some good stories. The one I remember the most was "you'll never have to come up with an excuse as to why a dog did poorly as the owner will have one for you". Or something like that.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by rmilner View Post
    Wayne,
    I was up at Mchord in the late 60's early 70's. I spent a lot of time at Roy's. Charlie Hill was running Dandy around that time if my poor memory serves. I had a dog named Toni's Blaine Child that I bought from Roy. Jimmy used to throw birds occasionally when you could drag him away from the cars.
    I always thought FC Toni's Blaine Child was owned by Rob Leatherbury and was a National Finalist with Tom Sorenson in '74...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Marvin, very nice my knowledge of the famous West coast dogs and trainers is very limited. Good piece of retriever history. Thank you for sharing.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I always thought FC Toni's Blaine Child was owned by Rob Leatherbury and was a National Finalist with Tom Sorenson in '74...
    TBC was a washout by the original owner - RM bought him for $125 & made him worthy of advanced work - I believe RM sold the dog for $5K - from Ken Carpenter's CNC Tar Baby's Little Sweet Stuff & Gradee Shadee Ladee? but not sure on the dam. I believe Bill Chilcott owned TBC as i know we gave him a lot of *#&$ for his error. Chilcott also owned Dee's Dandy Dude -

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    TBC was a washout by the original owner - RM bought him for $125 & made him worthy of advanced work - I believe RM sold the dog for $5K - from Ken Carpenter's CNC Tar Baby's Little Sweet Stuff & Gradee Shadee Ladee? but not sure on the dam. I believe Bill Chilcott owned TBC as i know we gave him a lot of *#&$ for his error. Chilcott also owned Dee's Dandy Dude -
    Dee's Dandy Dude was owned by Michael Paterno....who we dealt with on another dog..Bill Chilcott was the breeder

Toni's Blaine Child was from (FC Anzac of Zenith x Dessa Baby)
    Last edited by BonMallari; 02-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Marvin, very nice my knowledge of the famous West coast dogs and trainers is very limited. Good piece of retriever history. Thank you for sharing.
    My first experience with a lab was in ND when I worked the missile sites for Boeing - we are hunting prairie chickens on the reservation & come on a black dog walking beside the road. We coax it into the car as it has no ID & take it home. We advertise it in the paper to no avail. My friend keeps it as it I already have a dog. We would use it to hunt ducks on the Garrison Reservoir & it would mark the duck but leave as soon as the duck hit the water. Nice dog but had a tendency to be a little sticky, so my friend said we needed to cover an ear of corn with barb wire to stop that. I only say this as it shows how stupid people can be.

The dog was very well put together, I have a feeling after seeing Martens Black Powder Kate that he may have been a Marten's dog. We also thought the Indians were using him to chase deer as he would go berserk when he saw one.

Fortunately, when I moved to Butte I met Bob Sparks who was my early mentor & a really good dog man considering we did not have many role models where we lived. He got a lot of his stuff from Guy Burnett.

Marvin S

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Dee's Dandy Dude was owned by Michael Paterno....who we dealt with on another dog..Bill Chilcott was the breeder

Toni's Blaine Child was from (FC Anzac of Zenith x Dessa Baby)
    I think you will find that Chilcott was the owner when Dude was on the Derby List -

Toni Carpenter was Ken's wife - hence the toni in the name, they lived in White Rock Canada just over the border from Blaine -

I'm doing a lot of this from memory as I didn't follow that pedigree, so will make a mistake or two on pedigrees, I really only remember those I had an interest in - Toni had a way of turning folks off with her love of Tyker Baby .

Marvin S

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    My first experience with a lab was in ND when I worked the missile sites for Boeing - we are hunting prairie chickens on the reservation & come on a black dog walking beside the road. We coax it into the car as it has no ID & take it home. We advertise it in the paper to no avail. My friend keeps it as it I already have a dog. We would use it to hunt ducks on the Garrison Reservoir & it would mark the duck but leave as soon as the duck hit the water. Nice dog but had a tendency to be a little sticky, so my friend said we needed to cover an ear of corn with barb wire to stop that. I only say this as it shows how stupid people ca
    The dog was very well put together, I have a feeling after seeing Martens Black Powder Kate that he may have been a Marten's dog. We also thought the Indians were using him to chase deer as he would go berserk when he saw one.

Fortunately, when I moved to Butte I met Bob Sparks who was my early mentor & a really good dog man considering we did not have many role models where we lived. He got a lot of his stuff from Guy Burnett.
    What line were the Marten Dogs out of, Martens little Smoky was? Guy Burnett Goldens? I am a weak sister here
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    What line were the Marten Dogs out of, Martens little Smoky was? Guy Burnett Goldens? I am a weak sister here
    Marten - Earl I don't have a clue, all I know is this dog moved a lot like Kate, which is generally indicative.

Burnett - Don was the golden guy from Pocatello but had to go to a black dog to get his last competitor . He was an outstanding judge & very much in demand. Guy was from Missoula, a really pusher for things MT, the owner of Guy's Bitterroot Lucky plus a couple of FC-AFC's & about the only guy around that went outside to AZ training in the winter.

Marvin S