The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Bauer

Marvin, I sure like it when you talk dogs.

I would love to hear about Air Express. It seems whenever I see a dog I really like he's (way back) in there. I wonder if this is just a growing superstition of mine, or if he had something I like that persists.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Marvin, I sure like it when you talk dogs.

I would love to hear about Air Express. It seems whenever I see a dog I really like he's (way back) in there. I wonder if this is just a growing superstition of mine, or if he had something I like that persists.
    Greta - I know nothing of AE - never saw him run nor even know who owned him, but I did see the others from the litter run extensively - He may have been a POTL & been owned by the Belmont's? which was not our circuit.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Greta - I know nothing of AE - never saw him run nor even know who owned him, but I did see the others from the litter run extensively - He may have been a POTL & been owned by the Belmont's? which was not our circuit.
    POTL??? I need a translation, please. What were the littermates like?
    --Greta Ode

POTL??? I need a translation, please. What were the littermates like?
    Oh, wait, pick of the litter?
    --Greta Ode

What were the littermates like?
    I don't remember whether they were LM's or siblings. All but Garbo were 20'ish point Derby dogs.

Dandy - what more can you say about a dog who was the 1st National Triple Header winner?

Suzie - started here - sold to East Coast, always a little out of control. made FC

Sheba - FC-AFC - Kay did an outstanding job picking studs, too big a bitch for my taste with movement to match

Garbo - CNFC-FC - had a lot of points - a credit to what a good trainer can do, but she was trainable - Once described to me as "every time this dog places, it takes that placing from a good dog" by someone who knew.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I don't remember whether they were LM's or siblings. All but Garbo were 20'ish point Derby dogs.

Dandy - what more can you say about a dog who was the 1st National Triple Header winner?

Suzie - started here - sold to East Coast, always a little out of control. made FC

Sheba - FC-AFC - Kay did an outstanding job picking studs, too big a bitch for my taste with movement to match

Garbo - CNFC-FC - had a lot of points - a credit to what a good trainer can do, but she was trainable - Once described to me as "every time this dog places, it takes that placing from a good dog" by someone who knew.

Thanks, Marvin.
    --Greta Ode

I recently bought a few t shirts from the Eddie Bauer store (clothing) that have prints of labs, and reference field trial champions, and Wanapum Kennels. Pretty cool stuff with real FT history.
    Mike

I've been lucky enough to have met a couple folks who were close to both of our local Eddie's. I've been told some wonderful first hand stories. Most recently some tales from a couple of older gentlemen who spent time on safari in different locations around the world with him between making an fc or two. Marvin will probably know the guys famous for stuffing animals that were based in Seattle. Sat down with him and had coffee a couple months ago when I got my book signed.

There was a time when you wanted to buy quality gear to stay warm Eddie Bauer was the go to place. After the business was sold they started making clothing for city people who wanted to look like they were outdoor types. I haven't bought anything with the Eddie Bauer label in at least 25 years, I don't even get the catalog anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    There was a time when you wanted to buy quality gear to stay warm Eddie Bauer was the go to place. After the business was sold they started making clothing for city people who wanted to look like they were outdoor types. I haven't bought anything with the Eddie Bauer label in at least 25 years, I don't even get the catalog anymore.
    When any of those catalogs quit selling hunting gear, I throw them away. Same with Eddie Bauer.

Relating to the OP... The Northwest Retriever Club has been awarding a revolving trophy to the winner of their Spring Open for many years(50 or more). It reads like a a Who's Who of Field Trials. Many of the famous old time handlers and dogs on that trophy including Eddie Bauer.......(and some not so famous... like yours truly)
    Bill Davis