The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content

Default Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content

Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon announced that it will reduce its alcohol content by 3%..it is using the excuse that it will stretch out the current supply...sounds like they are watering down the bottle...going from 90 proof (45% alc) down to 86 proof

from a revenue standpoint their is a higher tax on the higher proof alcohol

NOT my bourbon of choice but I hope it doesnt start a trend
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon announced that it will reduce its alcohol content by 3%..it is using the excuse that it will stretch out the current supply...sounds like they are watering down the bottle...going from 90 proof (45% alc) down to 86 proof

from a revenue standpoint their is a higher tax on the higher proof alcohol

NOT my bourbon of choice but I hope it doesnt start a trend
    Distilling is corporate, big time - though a few of the little guys try - just read an article in the New Yorker about a distillery on an island in Scotland that was old, restarted & then sold out by the majority of investors - interesting read about the history of the distillery, the fact the island has it's own unique water & peat which enhances the taste.

As a bourbon drinker for medicinal purposes, I would be intersted in hearing from someone who is a knowledgable connoisseur in what you would consider good bourbons.

Had also read another article about the 1% shrinkage per year as it ages.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Bon you scared me for a second.I thought you said Crown Royal!!!!!!!!
    Dave Hare
    CFC-CAFC Maralan's C.E.O.
    Horsetooth's Otto Know 2012 National Derby List
    Berkshire's Bad Medicine Doc
    R.I P-Hard Labs Fast Lane Phred-SH
    R.I.P-Catalina's Curve Ball
    R.I.P-Klondike's Chocolate Charger-MH 4 Time Ducks Unlimited Retriever of the year MN.
    www.berkshireretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    1% shrinkage per year as it ages.
    nope, to easy. not gonna type it
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Distilling is corporate, big time - though a few of the little guys try - just read an article in the New Yorker about a distillery on an island in Scotland that was old, restarted & then sold out by the majority of investors - interesting read about the history of the distillery, the fact the island has it's own unique water & peat which enhances the taste.

As a bourbon drinker for medicinal purposes, I would be intersted in hearing from someone who is a knowledgable connoisseur in what you would consider good bourbons.

Had also read another article about the 1% shrinkage per year as it ages.
    I have a predilection to fine Tennesee sippin' whiskey.
    (medicinal purposes..........)

Hardley a connoisseur ..............
    Last edited by road kill; 02-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

they obviously had a group of consultants review distilling operations and profitability. i heard the wax on the top of the maker's mark bottle will be pink instead of red in the future too!
    john mccallie

I bet they are fearing the greatest tasting Tim Smith moonshine that is coming out soon! Yeehaw! Tickle for President!

M/M has become my drank of choice over the past year but I bought their 46 during Christmas and it rocks.
    Too pricey for a weekly drinker but fantastic to treat ones self on occassion. 3% shrinkage is about normal.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Marvin : I consider myself WELL qualified to discuss finer bourbons because one of the venues I had the opportunity to be employed by had over 50 bourbons on the back shelf, and I had tried over half of them, along with going to numerous product roll outs and also in dispensing them to many for "medicinal" and recreational purposes

Here are my Top 5

1. Basil Hayden

2. Pappy Van Winkle 25 yr

3. Woodforde Reserve

4. Wild Turkey 101

5. Blanton's or Booker's

I also personally enjoy Jack Daniels Single Barrel(94 proof), but technically its a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey and not a Bourbon
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Marvin : I consider myself WELL qualified to discuss finer bourbons because one of the venues I had the opportunity to be employed by had over 50 bourbons on the back shelf, and I had tried over half of them, along with going to numerous product roll outs and also in dispensing them to many for "medicinal" and recreational purposes

Here are my Top 5

1. Basil Hayden

2. Pappy Van Winkle 25 yr

3. Woodforde Reserve

4. Wild Turkey 101

5. Blanton's or Booker's

I also personally enjoy Jack Daniels Single Barrel(94 proof), but technically its a Tennessee Sipping Whiskey and not a Bourbon
    Gentleman Jack, for those finer moments!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis