The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Excise Tax????

Default Excise Tax????

Did any of you get this e-mail about Cabela's exposing this tax?
    And the part of the IRS code that shows the taxes?

I just got in from training, I read it.
    I don't know how to "Snopes' or fact check it.

IRS.gov

So being more curious I clicked on "Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510" And WALLAH! What do I find under "MEDICAL DEVICES" under "MANUFACTURERS TAXES"?

Manufacturers Taxes
    The following discussion of manufacturers taxes applies to the tax on:
    Sport fishing equipment;
    Fishing rods and fishing poles;
    Electric outboard motors;
    Fishing tackle boxes;
    Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points;
    Arrow shafts;
    Coal;
    Taxable tires;
    Gas guzzler automobiles; and
    Vaccines.

IRS.gov

I am not claiming it accurate. Just asking if any one else received this.
    Stan b & Elvis

Stan b & Elvis

RK Those taxes have been around a long time, however I always thought that the money taxed went towards something related to the item. I also think there is a firearm and ammunition tax that supposedly went towards national parks and forests.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    RK Those taxes have been around a long time, however I always thought that the money taxed went towards something related to the item. I also think there is a firearm and ammunition tax that supposedly went towards national parks and forests.
    You are talking about the Pittman/Robertson act from 1937 which dedicated the already existent excise tax on guns and ammunition to providing funds for wildlife and habitat preservation. Sometime later archery equipment was added. The Dingell/Johnson act from about 1950 does the same basic thing for fishing equipment dedicating the monies to fisheries preservation and improvement. Pittman/Robertson (and later Dingell/Johnson) has been a very important component in the preservation of our game species and is probably the primary reason that sportsmen can honestly say that hunters (and fishermen) have contributed much more over the years to the cause of conservation than any other group.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Thanks for the leg work HPL, it surprises me how little some people know about these type of taxes, especially if they are not subject to them. I have often used these taxes, licencse fees, and various conservation groups to tell pet walkers on public hunting grounds that this is my land and we choses to share it with you! Funny that they think how it is all paid for with their taxes.