The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Presidents Day POTUS question.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Hey Stan was that the same Seth Bullock who was the sheriff of Deadwood S Dakota back in the WILD WILD West?

Favorite President would have to be Jefferson. Worst would be a tie with the latter serving Presidents with the last name of Johnson & Bush
    Yes, he hunted and rode (as a Rough Rider) with TR.

I was born 100+ years too late!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

The HBO series "Deadwood" was one of my all time favorite TV programs

Those that list past President's who lived and were deceased over a hundred+ years ago are relying on the history books...not denying that Thomas Jefferson was a great President but he lived in a time when he presided over an emerging nation that was growing by the month if not by the day...if he lived in today's media controlled world where a scandal brings out talks of impeachment, not too sure TJ would have lasted very long...

Also we give JFK a pass because of the brutal way he was assassinated before our very eyes...

I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, did we prosper or flounder under their administrations...Did they appoint SCOTUS jurists that impacted our lives forever....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS, but thanks to American perserverence we have survived their terms...I hope that we can say the same in 2016
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Those that list past President's who lived and were deceased over a hundred+ years ago are relying on the history books...not denying that Thomas Jefferson was a great President but he lived in a time when he presided over an emerging nation that was growing by the month if not by the day...if he lived in today's media controlled world where a scandal brings out talks of impeachment, not too sure TJ would have lasted very long...

Also we give JFK a pass because of the brutal way he was assassinated before our very eyes...

I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, did we prosper or flounder under their administrations...Did they appoint SCOTUS jurists that impacted our lives forever....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS, but thanks to American perserverence we have survived their terms...I hope that we can say the same in 2016
    Good point.

Since Harry S Truman was Pres when I was born, I'll go with him as best. He busted military contractors for stealing millions, helped form NATO and stood up to Gen MacArthur. Had he not, no telling what the consequences of nuking Red China would have been. Its been all downhill since.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

I would think that we might judge our Presidents that were around during our lifetimes, ....

from my perspective we have had quite a few crappy POTUS,
    so no fav at all Bon?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I always admired Regan for ability to take his agenda directly to the public and put the democratically controlled house and senate on their heels.

I think that the current president will be remembered for bankrupting the country without ever passing a budget.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Best, Reagen because he when he left office the Country was in better shape than when he took it. Runner-up Clinton

Worst, G.W. Bush because he when he left office our nation was in shambles. Runner-up Obama
    I agree with Bon, I only chose Presidents from my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

So… I ask.
    Who is / was your favorite President of the United States of America? And why?
    Who was / is the worst President of the United States of America? And why?

In your opinions.
    Favorite - Truman - I was one of 20 airmen chosen to stand in a color guard when he came to Headquarters SAC as CIC . I have stood 10 feet from him, looked like my Grandpa. But my choice is because I believe he was truly a man of the people & followed the practice of thrift! Ike would be 2nd - what I have read of Coolidge is certainly a plus, but would have to read more.

Least favorite - in a broad field with lot's of worthy's - I'd say a tie between Johnson & the present POTUS - Johnson because of his creation of the entitlement mentality & the present POTUS because he is trashing the Constitution. While Carter deserves a mention his biggest issue was incompetence. In the years since Ike we have only had one chance for a legitimate choice & the country blew it. Every president since Ike including Reagan would go down with more minus than plus on their resume, IMO.

Other than Coolidge these are all people I either served under or participated in the election.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Did he see his shadow today?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    so no fav at all Bon?
    Reagan but only because I think the country was strong while he was in office, and he was the only one to get Iran to give up the hostages....but I also think that Reagan's image took on larger than life personna and the history books have been kind to the man, and the images of he and Nancy made him very likeable....I expect my President to be presidential and RR was that

JFK - incomplete

LBJ- will never forgive him for Vietnam

RMN- a crook to the core

GF- nice guy, way in over his head

JC-totally inept,had no business being POTUS

RWR- did what he was supposed to do

GHB- likeable but ineffective

WJC- felt like the country learned how to be sleazy after him

GWB- one term too many, peaked at 9/11
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"