The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: German Shorthaired pointer as a retriever

Default German Shorthaired pointer as a retriever

i have 2 GSP's, about 6 months old. and i have heard great things about them being retrievers, and i am seriously considering sending them to a trainer for retrieving. i was wondering what yalls opinion was on this.

What ttraining have you done with the dog? What kind of rettrieving do you need?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I wouldn't send them to a retriever trainer unless that person has a lot of pointing dog experience. They will not do well with the force and typical retriever program as a general rule. I'm sure some guy will say they do but, there is a reason only maybe one or two GSP's came out of the woodwork and passed a couple hunt tests beyond JH last year. If someone is successful at pointer and retriever hunt tests I might consider it. GSP's and pointing dogs in general as not forgiving and will shut down with pressure. ("most" professional retriever trainers use pressure and force fetch based systems for training because its faster and more effective for retrievers)

I have a couple of friends who do lots of dove and duck hunting early season.Their dogs are awesome in the heat and are machines.I always wanted one.Both are amateur trained ff,cc and run simple blinds.Later in the season the labs come out because of the cold.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

just retrieving ducks, not looking to do any competitions or hunt test, im in louisiana, so im not to worried about the cold. but when it does get chilly, ill get them a vest. i havent gotten to do to much training with them, besides getting their prey drive up, ive worked with them on quail, i can get them to hold, while i let a quail go run around and will not go get it until i say okay. The guy im sending them t, is supposed to be great with pointers, and quite a few people i have talked to have recommended for me to send my pointers to him.

They can be force fetched and the few i have seen took the pressure fine... they are actually pretty high strung with the pressure and seem to not give in as easy... Just from what i have seen...

Few of the greatest GSP Field Trial Champions have ever really been FF'd. Why you will ask? Because they only must make ONE single retrieve in their career. They don't shoot birds over Field Trial Pointers in AKC Competition. Just flush and a .22 blank shot.

I had one in training last summer that is primarily an upland dog, but he did single marks surprisingly well. Went hard, ran straight and marked well. He came to me because his owner was having trouble getting him to pick up birds. I FF'd him and he did great. Like any dog, I adjusted my process to his temperament. He's picked up a ton of doves, a few ducks and a bunch of pheasant and quail since then. Nice dog. That said, I haven't tried to put him through the whole program to get him running blinds, so I can't speak to that. I have a friend back in Florida who runs shorthairs in HRC hunt tests and does well. I like his dogs a lot.
    I have another GSP that just got here for evaluation. We'll see how she works out.
    Like I told her owner, I have done retrieving work on pointing breeds, but I am NOT a pointing dog trainer. I'm a retriever trainer.
    The point to all this is there are some that will make nice retrievers and some that probably will not. If I were planning on running upper level retriever hunt tests, I would start with a different breed. If I were looking for a pointing dog that could pick up ducks out of the decoys in milder weather, I might go with a GSP.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Most GSPs make great, enthusiastic retrievers.
    I don't think the breed makes or breaks any training,there are high strung lab/golden,etc washouts,too.
    If you have a pedigree that is loaded with FT lines you may have your work cut out for you in the duck blind with calmness. Your biggest issue may not be retrieving, it may be swimming.
    I train my shorthairs just like a retriever with all the vdog stuff added in and they do just fine.

forgot to add, most vdog owners don't do retriever tests b/c its a fairly new concept and hasn't caught on yet.With the fun vdog tests available many probably don't want to participate in retriever tests. Check into your local NAVHDA chapter.