The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: German Shorthaired pointer as a retriever

GSPs can make great retrievers provided water not too cold. Mine are FF, Collar conditioned and trained like a Lab. Just takes longer and skill level usually about 18 months behind a Lab in retrieving if both trained the same way. Not as focussed or mentally as tough as Labs. Our retrieves include blinds 150 meters , multiple marks same distance and combinations of up to three. Channel swims, the lot - just not your distances. All retired guns. They do beat the Labs just not every weekend! Sharon Potter would be a good person to talk to about a suitable pro.
    If you play their game train the way they train

Paul:

You seem to be confusing Pointing Dog Hunt Test with Pointing Dog Field Trials, or at least you are using the terms interchangeably. They are different just like retriever Field trials and Hunt Tests. Further within the AKC venue there are retrieving stake and non-retrieving stakes. Some breeds like GSP's must earn points in at least one retrieving stake to earn their FC, while others like Pointers do not need to run retrieving stake to earn their FC. To further complicate matters, the rules and standards for AKC Field Trials are different than American Field Trials. American Field sanctioned trials a whole other level of competition.

To the question at hand, yes many Versatile Breeds (GSP"S Weim's, GWP, Vizslas, etc.) are FF'd for the same reasons that retrievers are, but I would caution using a "Retriever Training Program" on a young versatile dog. In my opinion too much obedience and control at an early age can limit the versatile dogs independence and range. A pointy dogs job is to go find birds, if I have to direct him where to go or he won't get out from under foot, it really limits his usefulness.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mn John View Post
    Paul:

You seem to be confusing Pointing Dog Hunt Test with Pointing Dog Field Trials, or at least you are using the terms interchangeably. They are different just like retriever Field trials and Hunt Tests. Further within the AKC venue there are retrieving stake and non-retrieving stakes. Some breeds like GSP's must earn points in at least one retrieving stake to earn their FC, while others like Pointers do not need to run retrieving stake to earn their FC. To further complicate matters, the rules and standards for AKC Field Trials are different than American Field Trials. American Field sanctioned trials a whole other level of competition.

John
    I definately do not know the intricacies of the Pointer trials, Brittany Trials, Chukar Challenges, Gun Dog Stakes vs. Open and the titles "Field Champion" that can be attached to the dogs even though they've never run against other breeds etc. The Pointing Breed Field Trial term, "Field Champion" is used widely and is far from any resemblance of consistency as we know it in the retriever world. AKC and AF have different sets of rules neither of which I know well. I have helped and watched about 15 AKC hunt tests. I have a much better understanding of their HT than the limited AKC Field Trials I've attended and worked planting birds.

I do know, as I stated before that FF is not as much of a priority as we make it according to the successful Trialers I've been able to speak with in the last two years.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 02-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.

My question would be what's the dogs water attitude? That is probably the most limiting factor.
    I have a friend with a GSP as his primary duck dog, the dog was always water based, made his training very easy. If you have a land-loving GSP, I'd recommend not banging your head against the wall trying the get a square peg in a round hole, keep him on land for an upland pointer/retriever. If you got a GSP that loves water, go for it they can make great water retrievers, might have to invest in a vest, they get cold. If you send him off to training find a pro that does both breeds, you don't want a pointer that sits, and doesn't point, might as well have a lab in that case .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)