The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Democrats Seek to Ban Hunting Ammunition in Wisconsin

I have never met a deer hunter who didn't want to kill big bucks. What I would like to see is a reg that protects young bucks, say a shooter must have 12" spikes or have three points on 1 side to be legal. This would be kind of an honor system with no real penalties for shooting a smaller deer. I would think a $10 dollar fine going to land acquisition would be acceptable to most hunters. If you want to shoot a small buck go ahead it is only going to cost you 10 bucks and a little shame at the reg station. We could also nix the restriction for first time hunters. It got to be disheartening to travel 2-3 hundred miles to hunt, pass on several small bucks only to have them shot over the next ridge, or spend lots of money on land leases to have deer walk just out of range.

What about the handicapped or our seniors? what about the guy strickly out for the meat why should they be punished? If you spend money on a lease and they walk out of range that is hunting. You say you were a archery hunter you know that happens all the time on your lease. I do not know how your pheasant population is by you but here it is lousy and they have implemented a pheasant stamp for ten dollars going on four yrs now and they have done nothing to help the pheasants. So thanks but no thanks on a ten dollar fine for shooting a deer that does not approve of what one shoots.

[QUOTE=starjack;1070504]What about the handicapped or our seniors? They could be excluded. what about the guy strickly out for the meat why should they be punished?They can shoot does, not to mention there is more meat on a 200lb buck than on a 125lb spike. If you spend money on a lease and they walk out of range that is hunting. You say you were a archery hunter you know that happens all the time on your lease. I do not know how your pheasant population is by you but here it is lousy and they have implemented a pheasant stamp for ten dollars going on four yrs now and they have done nothing to help the pheasants.I would look into the days that they stock the birds that is what the stamp and tags are for. And I hear it mostly sucks its WI not the plains. So thanks but no thanks on a ten dollar fine for shooting a deer that does not approve of what one shoots.[/QUOTE]I think most hunters spend more then ten dollars on gas getting to where they hunt, and as stated the $10 would go to make hunting better.

I did not intend to offend you but you asked. I will continue to be one of the growing number of people that opt out of deer hunting until the DNR can also manage for quality along with quantity. Maybe one of the deer that I do not kill can wind up on your wall.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    They just might regulate a need for 30rd mags and 50 cal. BMGs lol.

I am willing to bet one of these state senators has a son that was arrested for slashing republican vans tires a while back on election day. I also remember her crying in congress, comparing requiring an ID to vote to Nazi Germany. Low info voters = low info representation!

Haven't hunted deer in 3-4 years but my prefered method was 500-600gr arrows. Some would have preferred the 7mm 140gr. ballistic silver tips tho. I probably wont hunt deer until the DNR gets its head out of its rump. I personally would like to see some sort of antler restrictions.

Isn't frangible ammo supposed to be less lethal?
    Frangibles are primarily designed to deliver all the energy to the intended target without passing through and killing or injuring others. They also have very low penetration ability in things like sheet rock walls etc so no going through the wall and striking an unintended target. I think plenty lethal if fired into a soft target like an unarmored human, but you are right, if the idea is to prevent "collateral damage" banning them doesn't really make sense. I would think that hollow points are also less likely to do a through and through, although they certainly can pass through some wall materials retaining enough energy to cause a problem.
    Last edited by HPL; 02-18-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    Could you elaborate on antler restrictions
    In Missouri the antler restriction goes like this... 4 point minimum on 1 side ,no matter the size of rack (4 point half rack is the bottom end).However this does not apply to youth tags on youth weekend only ,the law is in effect for youths during any other season and applies with all legal methods of hunting.

This has been in effect for about 3-4 years in an attempt to let bucks mature ,thus produce more trophy deer for harvest (and bring in more $$$). There are several area's that are starting to do away with the restriction (Like where Mark and Terry Drury's NE MO farm is ) I dont know exactly why ,but the rumors I have heard range from -deer populations are at a all time high ,- since deer populations are so high we are seeing a lot of blue tongue disease killing the heards off. I've also heard that the severe drought has limited the water supply to stagnant water sources and the blue tongue was spread much quicker due to the fact that animals with blue tongue are contaminating the limited water sources.

I have locally seen a noticable decline in deer in general last season at places that where always good for some does feeding. Several farmer friends have commented that they have seen multiple cascaras on their property.

I dont think the antler restriction has panned out like they had hoped.

It also eliminates buck management since you cant take out the little basket racks that are mature and that will never amount to a hill of beans ,but still end up reproducing, so we have generations of them to follow.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    In Missouri the antler restriction goes like this... 4 point minimum on 1 side ,no matter the size of rack (4 point half rack is the bottom end).However this does not apply to youth tags on youth weekend only ,the law is in effect for youths during any other season and applies with all legal methods of hunting.

This has been in effect for about 3-4 years in an attempt to let bucks mature ,thus produce more trophy deer for harvest (and bring in more $$$). There are several area's that are starting to do away with the restriction (Like where Mark and Terry Drury's NE MO farm is ) I dont know exactly why ,but the rumors I have heard range from -deer populations are at a all time high ,- since deer populations are so high we are seeing a lot of blue tongue disease killing the heards off. I've also heard that the severe drought has limited the water supply to stagnant water sources and the blue tongue was spread much quicker due to the fact that animals with blue tongue are contaminating the limited water sources.

I have locally seen a noticable decline in deer in general last season at places that where always good for some does feeding. Several farmer friends have commented that they have seen multiple cascaras on their property.

I dont think the antler restriction has panned out like they had hoped.

It also eliminates buck management since you cant take out the little basket racks that are mature and that will never amount to a hill of beans ,but still end up reproducing, so we have generations of them to follow.

This just doesn't sound like state of the art management to me. We have known for many years that many of the bucks with good antler genes will produce six or even eight points their first year. Spikes generally do not mature into trophy bucks. Most of the managers I know have, for years, been culling spikes and mid-sized six and eight points (often these six, eight, and even ten points) are mature deer that just don't have the genetics to produce trophy racks. You pass over the small bodied young looking six and eight points as they are the cohort from which future trophy animals come. I realize that this is pretty hard to do on public lands, and when implemented on public lands is really best accomplished through vigorous hunter education programs.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

[QUOTE=sick lids;1070557]
    Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    What about the handicapped or our seniors? They could be excluded. what about the guy strickly out for the meat why should they be punished?They can shoot does, not to mention there is more meat on a 200lb buck than on a 125lb spike. If you spend money on a lease and they walk out of range that is hunting. You say you were a archery hunter you know that happens all the time on your lease. I do not know how your pheasant population is by you but here it is lousy and they have implemented a pheasant stamp for ten dollars going on four yrs now and they have done nothing to help the pheasants.I would look into the days that they stock the birds that is what the stamp and tags are for. And I hear it mostly sucks its WI not the plains. So thanks but no thanks on a ten dollar fine for shooting a deer that does not approve of what one shoots.[/QUOTE]I think most hunters spend more then ten dollars on gas getting to where they hunt, and as stated the $10 would go to make hunting better.

I did not intend to offend you but you asked. I will continue to be one of the growing number of people that opt out of deer hunting until the DNR can also manage for quality along with quantity. Maybe one of the deer that I do not kill can wind up on your wall.
    No offence taken. I could go on a trip down memory lane about how there was good bird hunting in wis . I do remember the days of the hungarians. I have the luxury of hunting both QDM land and non the ones on the non only care about the meat if i hunt it i respect that . The one on QDM i respect that to. As for shooting does you do remember earn a buck it took a hard toll on the deer pop. It is just starting to come back a little. so no does for me.
    You stae there is more meat on 200 lb buck than a 125 spike that is ture but how many 200 lb come walking by versus the 125 for the average hope i see a deer hunter.

A few years back our area inacted rules that made a legal buck a spike, a buck with one unbranched antler, or a 13 inch spread. 13 inches is the approx distance from ear to ear on our bucks. All hell broke loose about how unfair it was.

Now trophy bucks are regularly taken in our area. Of course a trophy buck here and a trophy buck in Kansas are two different things. A 140 class buck would be exceptional here. Just as many bucks are being killed now that they have gotten the extra year or two to grow.

Of course the model works here, I'm not saying it will work everywhere.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Just goes to show there are some dim $#!@s in this world that draft legislation they know nothing about.
    YUP- couldn't agree more. We call um Democrats just for simplicity

Pass it to learn what is in it regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    A few years back our area inacted rules that made a legal buck a spike, a buck with one unbranched antler, or a 13 inch spread. 13 inches is the approx distance from ear to ear on our bucks. All hell broke loose about how unfair it was.

Now trophy bucks are regularly taken in our area. Of course a trophy buck here and a trophy buck in Kansas are two different things. A 140 class buck would be exceptional here. Just as many bucks are being killed now that they have gotten the extra year or two to grow.

Of course the model works here, I'm not saying it will work everywhere.
    This sounds a lot closer to a trophy management scheme to me. I'm assuming that does are also allowed?
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)