The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Democrats Seek to Ban Hunting Ammunition in Wisconsin

Default Democrats Seek to Ban Hunting Ammunition in Wisconsin

http://mediatrackers.org/2013/02/15/...-in-wisconsin/

"A Democratic state senator and three Democratic state representatives have circulated draft legislation that would ban civilian possession of hollow point or frangible ammunition. According to existing Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources regulations, sportsmen and women in Wisconsin must use such ammunition when hunting deer or bear. The Democratic lawmakers, two of whom are freshman, all hail from urban districts in the City of Milwaukee.

The reasoning behind the legislation is a bit muddled. The impact, however, is quite clear. According to a legislative counsel review of the legislation, it would essentially make it impossible for civilians to hunt deer or bear in Wisconsin.

“The provision in the bill draft that provides whoever intentionally sells, transports or possesses any bullet that expands or flattens easily in the human body is guilty of a Class H felony conflicts with current DNR hunting rules. Under s. NR 10.09 (1)(c)2., ‘no person shall hunt any deer or bear with any air rifle, rim-fire rifle, any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any .410 bore or less shotgun or handgun loaded with .410 shotgun shell ammunition or with ammunition loaded with nonexpanding type bullets or ammunition loaded with shot other than a single slug or projectile.’ The bill draft does not provide an exception to the prohibition on possessing expanding bullets for deer or bear hunting.” (Emphasis added)"

rookies :rofl:
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    http://mediatrackers.org/2013/02/15/...-in-wisconsin/

"A Democratic state senator and three Democratic state representatives have circulated draft legislation that would ban civilian possession of hollow point or frangible ammunition. According to existing Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources regulations, sportsmen and women in Wisconsin must use such ammunition when hunting deer or bear. The Democratic lawmakers, two of whom are freshman, all hail from urban districts in the City of Milwaukee.

The reasoning behind the legislation is a bit muddled. The impact, however, is quite clear. According to a legislative counsel review of the legislation, it would essentially make it impossible for civilians to hunt deer or bear in Wisconsin.

“The provision in the bill draft that provides whoever intentionally sells, transports or possesses any bullet that expands or flattens easily in the human body is guilty of a Class H felony conflicts with current DNR hunting rules. Under s. NR 10.09 (1)(c)2., ‘no person shall hunt any deer or bear with any air rifle, rim-fire rifle, any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any .410 bore or less shotgun or handgun loaded with .410 shotgun shell ammunition or with ammunition loaded with nonexpanding type bullets or ammunition loaded with shot other than a single slug or projectile.’ The bill draft does not provide an exception to the prohibition on possessing expanding bullets for deer or bear hunting.” (Emphasis added)"

rookies :rofl:
    Although the legislation is dumb, we hunt deer and bear all the time with non-hollow point bullets. An expanding bullet doesn't necessarily make it a hollow point, a pretty typical example would be a shotgun slug.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Although the legislation is dumb, we hunt deer and bear all the time with non-hollow point bullets. An expanding bullet doesn't necessarily make it a hollow point, a pretty typical example would be a shotgun slug.
    YEP, nuttin' like huntin' white tail with FMJ rounds!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    YEP, nuttin' like huntin' white tail with FMJ rounds!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm in live in a slug only zone, so I would say about 80% of whitetail hunters (in my area) use non-jacketed, non-hollow point slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    I'm in live in a slug only zone, so I would say about 80% of whitetail hunters (in my area) use non-jacketed, non-hollow point slugs.
    Oh, well as long as you are happy...................I hunt with a 30.06 165 grn boat tail hollow point.

It is designed specifically for big game such as whitetail.

I guess I'll have to switch the slugs so as progressives can feel better!!??!!??

Oh, and BTW--This will solve what????
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Oh, well as long as you are happy...................I hunt with a 30.06 165 grn boat tail hollow point.

It is designed specifically for big game such as whitetail.

I guess I'll have to switch the slugs so as progressives can feel better!!??!!??

Oh, and BTW--This will solve what????
    Stan, as I said in my earlier post it is a dumb piece of legislation, and just pointing out that the journalism was bad do to the fact that they did little if any research on the matter and the journalist apparently fooled a forum member.

They just might regulate a need for 30rd mags and 50 cal. BMGs lol.

I am willing to bet one of these state senators has a son that was arrested for slashing republican vans tires a while back on election day. I also remember her crying in congress, comparing requiring an ID to vote to Nazi Germany. Low info voters = low info representation!

Haven't hunted deer in 3-4 years but my prefered method was 500-600gr arrows. Some would have preferred the 7mm 140gr. ballistic silver tips tho. I probably wont hunt deer until the DNR gets its head out of its rump. I personally would like to see some sort of antler restrictions.

Isn't frangible ammo supposed to be less lethal?

Just goes to show there are some dim $#!@s in this world that draft legislation they know nothing about.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Just goes to show there are some dim $#!@s in this world that draft legislation they know nothing about.
    Exactly but the problem is something crazy like this is put forth and everyone pays attention. Then while your looking at this they pass something, and this would be just a example, we will allow hollow points but now no lead bullets are allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    They just might regulate a need for 30rd mags and 50 cal. BMGs lol.

I am willing to bet one of these state senators has a son that was arrested for slashing republican vans tires a while back on election day. I also remember her crying in congress, comparing requiring an ID to vote to Nazi Germany. Low info voters = low info representation!

Haven't hunted deer in 3-4 years but my prefered method was 500-600gr arrows. Some would have preferred the 7mm 140gr. ballistic silver tips tho. I probably wont hunt deer until the DNR gets its head out of its rump. I personally would like to see some sort of antler restrictions.

Isn't frangible ammo supposed to be less lethal?
    Could you elaborate on antler restrictions