The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: smelly lab

Unhappy smelly lab

I recently brought home my future hunting companion, a lab puppy. I,m keeping her in the house , and crate training her. I give her a bath about every four days, but she still gives off a smelly foot smell. Is there any trick to keeping the order down. Please help

Yikes! I don't bathe mine.

What is she sleeping on? Is that maybe making her smelly?
    Renee P

see,
    what I can do for you is rent you a 10yr old Chessie who has had that many baths in the last 4 years.
    bet it won't take more than 2 weeks and you will love that puppy smell.
    Welcome to RTF, I'll pm you the addy to send the rent check
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Shes not pottying in her crate is she? thats the only reason I would think a puppy would stink! Puppies smell wonderful! unless they are "in their stuff"..... bathing a pup that often will only dry out her coat.... As they get older, they do things that make them stink (rolling in stuff, getting skunked, etc),so what will yu do then?
    Does she have diarrhea or anything , leaking urine maybe? Those are the only things that might make a puppy not smell wonderful- I think most on here would agree....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I would check between her pads on her feet and make sure there isn't a sore that might be infected or some kind of fungus in there.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

What are you feeding the pup? Many of the corn based foods make the dog's feet smell like fritos Dogs are not supposed to smell like a rose garden. Retrievers are supposed to have a water resistant coat, which means having natural oils, which all of your bathing is removing. If you don't like the smell of your dog now, you really won't like it once it has gone after a duck through that black swamp mud that smells like sewage.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

wash the bedding in the kennel, I was my mutts with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and squirt of dawn dish soap in some warm water, same as skunk recipe,
    leaves no odor.

chage her name to "Frito" got the frito feet smell.... you will get used to it mine never gets bathed
    HR Sommits First Lady N Zeros JH "Maggie"
    1/30/2000-9/17/2011

Gone but not forgotten

Smell is only one thing that a dog will bring into your house. Few baths here.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    What are you feeding the pup? Many of the corn based foods make the dog's feet smell like fritos Dogs are not supposed to smell like a rose garden. Retrievers are supposed to have a water resistant coat, which means having natural oils, which all of your bathing is removing. If you don't like the smell of your dog now, you really won't like it once it has gone after a duck through that black swamp mud that smells like sewage.
    Yep. Poor quality food can be a culprit with smelly dogs.

And yep, over-bathing a dog with a coat like a lab can actually make them smell worse. I found that out for myself. It is not a Shih-tzu that has hair (rather than the oily coat) that you can bathe and groom to your heart's content. I don't bathe them any more unless they are really dirty, and will only touch up with bath wipes in between.
    Last edited by Jake&Tex; 02-19-2013 at 07:32 AM.