The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: smelly lab

Dogs also sweat through their feet. That could also be causing the smell. IMO, your bathing the dog way too much. Once every four weeks for a lab is plenty, you could even space it out more.

My previous BLF had exaclty one bath in her life time and that was when we brought her home from the breeder.
    She spent a lot of time in the river and marshes, etc,etc and lived in the house. She never smelled.
    I knew a Golden that spent a lot of time in a beaver pond....you couldn't get within 10 feet of that stinker without throwing up a little in your mouth. It was that bad!

Every dog is different.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

Um , the OP didn't say that the dogs feet smell , he said the dog smells like feet.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Um , the OP didn't say that the dogs feet smell , he said the dog smells like feet.

Bert
    Bert, you get the gold star for reading comprehension!!
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I would suspect mange or yeast infection. Suggest a trip to the veterinarian for exam, and possible skin scrapings.

Meredith

3X on what you are feeding the pup. She is what she eats. If she's eating crap she will smell like crap!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post

Bert
    LOL my bad!

Chlorophyll --- and/or the food. Had a dog on pro plan ( certainly not low quality food) smelly dog, we joked she was the stinky kid in the neighborhood. had an old school vet tell me to use chlorphyll in the dogs food as that helps control odor used by people a lot, bow hunters during elk season out here, and it is prescribed for those with halitosis (wish I had told a co worker about it some time ago). Anyway changed the dog over to a fish and potatoe food and used the chlorophyll and it knocked the odor out. Not sure if it was one, the other or both combined but no problems any longer

I would stick my nose in the pup's ears and take a good hit. It has been my experience with my first two labs that they were somewhat prone to ear infections and they tend to stink. Of course, if you don't know what a clean doggy ear smells like, this might not work.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Thanks for the info. My pup is a retreiving fool, she sets,stay,lay, and comes to gun fire like its dinner time, because it is.My wife is not a dog lover like us duck hunters, so she cant take the smell. I will try different food and get back to you. Really enjoy the site and all the people on here. HAPPY HUNTING